Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Can I merge an extracting bolt and a springer's piston?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

Your advice:

Make an 'extracting piston', I have provided details in my post.
No votes
The 'piston head-to-cartridge distance' isn't going to affect power alot.
No votes

Total votes : 0
  • Author
Can I merge an extracting bolt and a springer's piston?

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 am

Sup guys, been a while for me, but I need your help! :D

I've been designing a gun that feeds and extracts cartridges.
The extraction isn't a problem; I already made a prototype out of paper (some glue, roll roll roll...) and I was surprised at how simple it actually is.
I don't want the gun do have an airtank though, because a springer is more consistent and easier to construct. Kind of what that boltsniper made, but this is not at all a wild attempt to build stuff like he does.
The difference is, that boltsniper fires nerf-darts from his guns. I'm going to be firing 6mm bb's. This is where the problem lies.
Having an extracting mechanism inside the tip of the bolt increases the distance between the moving piston head and the cartridge (bb is seated in rear, in a rubber ring) . My prediction is that the gap is going to be about 4/5 inch, and that it is going to decrease the power output by alot.

So, the question:
If I merge an extracting bolt and a springer's piston to make a cartridge-fed springer, will the distance created between the piston's head and the cartridge affect power too much?

It would also be great if you could provide a design other than 'traditional'!

Thank you very much for your time, and I'm hoping to be able to show you a working example soon. :D

Note: I don't have the time for it now, but if I have, I will provide close-up pictures of bolts from rifles to help understand the issue.

Note on pre-charged guns: I also figured that it would require quite some pressure to extract (or feed) a cartridge, and to recock the hammer. I don't have any experience building metal air tanks, so I quickly dropped the idea.

Technician1002 wrote:A link to the boltsniper creation would be nice. There is a user called boltsniper on SpudFiles and a site www.boltsniper.com with over 1/2 dozen designs on it.

Oh yeah, thanks for that!
http://www.boltsniper.com/BS-5/BS5.htm
Also has close-up pictures of the bolt.
We're looking at his old design here. His newer one includes a rotating bolt, but I will not include that in my gun yet.

Last edited by Tsukiten on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:13 am

A link to the boltsniper creation would be nice. There is a user called boltsniper on SpudFiles and a site www.boltsniper.com with over 1/2 dozen designs on it.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion