Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1st gun. Or rather conversion.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1st gun. Or rather conversion.

Unread postAuthor: Procyon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:46 pm

About a month ago I built a rocket launcher. Air and water for vertical and flour for horizontal launches fueled the rockets. They weigh in from 1 to 2 lbs at launch depending on the type and size of the rocket. After leaving the tube they continue under their own power for the first 30 feet or so and reach speeds over 250 mph. Average vertical height is around 440 feet.

I was working towards something I could use to play paintball with my sons and grandsons. Obviously the rockets where a bit much to be shooting at love-ones. I went in search of a better way and came across this site.

After adding a piston valve to the launcher I was able to get much better control over the velocity and could use more suitable ammo. Still, if I crank up the volume it can send a spud a wailing. Not shown in the photo is a pressure gauge located at the end of the launcher. I use co2 with a 0-300 psi range co2 beer regulator. There is a 200psi relief valve built in to the launcher. The regulator has its own set of gauges and safety valve as well.

Being tickled with the performance of the launcher, I started work on a MILKOR MGL-140 semi-auto, revolving action multi-grenade launcher mock-up. I'll see if I'm able to post the plans in progress after this post.

Many thanks to all those on this board that have posted such helpful information.

Attachments
RL3.jpg

Procyon
Private First Class
Private First Class

MILKOR

Unread postAuthor: Procyon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:54 pm

It's not very good details but below are some drawings of the MILKOR I'm working on.

Attachments
gi1PIC.JPG
gi1PIC.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Procyon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Wow! Very good work sir. I love the wood grain addition to your rocket launcher. It doesn't appear to be a coaxial, and the handle appears to be pressure rated pipe, so is it safe to guess that the top handle is how you connected the piston to the pressure chamber? If not how exactly does it work then?

As to the revolver style grenade launcher, very clever design. I like how you have the ammo rotate about the pressure chamber instead of trying to incorporate the pressure chamber into the stock.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: kozak6 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 pm

The launcher in the top post is absolutely gorgeous. You do some mighty fine work.

I can't wait to see the revolver.

kozak6
Private First Class
Private First Class

Handle bypass

Unread postAuthor: Procyon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 am

Yes, the handle connects the tank to the top of the piston valve. It allowed me to re-use the in-line design. Below is a picture of the original before the modification. At that time there was a ball valve on top and the trigger went to a garden hose quick release. Since rockets don't depend on a quick charge of air I could turn the valve to charge the rocket body then use the trigger to release it when ready.

The launcher quickly breaks down into the 3 main parts, chamber, valve and barrel. All parts to the valve are accessable via 4 screws. The trigger now operates the pilot valve and I made a new release for the rockets that attaches between the valve assembly and the barrel.

I really get a kick out of seeing the variety and ingenuity of the folks on this site. Everything from a pill bottle to a tow behind the truck. It's swell.

Attachments
RL2.jpg

Procyon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:55 am

Wow, i love it. It looks real! And it looks like performance is great too!

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion