Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Latest project specs

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Latest project specs

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:56 am

40mm Blow forward open bolt semi auto

Vertical 4 round magazine.

Open Bolt allows vertical top reloading of individual rounds into magazine.

Magazines can be added on detachable spindle for multiples of rounds.

End to end of piston valve and ballast tank is 1'

12" - 24" Rifled or Linear/Spiral Ported Barrels with muzzle brake.

3000psi Air source acts as stock.

Regulated 300-600psi+ operating pressure

40mm Spherical ammunition

40mm Spherical dimpled ammunition (shallow dimples at poles for in flight stabilization)

40mm Finned ammunition 4"

40mm Bullet shaped waisted ammunition 2",3",4" spin stabilized with Spiral Ported Barrel or rifling.

Just in time for Christmas (January deadline)

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:00 am

I should have the 40mm spherical ammo soon. I will be testing the spiral and linear ported barrels tomorrow with some of the finned rounds and a few of the spherical solid mini tennis balls. Not sure if the spiral porting will act as I want. I read that with paintballs it just spins the outer shell which doesn't help much, but with solid rounds I am hoping it will improve accuracy.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:23 am

Sounds interesting, enough to demand further information ;)

Is the magazine spring or gravity fed? Is the blow forward bolt similar in design to what has been done on this forum or is there anything particular about it?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:09 am

Magazine uses a barrel spring. It is wide on ends and thin in middle to fold into itself when compressed. It feeds up.

I have not really spent too much time looking at blow forwards on here. It is similar to the rubber bullet gun I made, except instead of using an external piston to drive the bolt, I am making a bolt with an inner rod suspended from three pylons that plugs the main air passage until the bolt has extended enough to close the breech. Otherwise air will bleed out small holes in the bolt if there is a jam. This way I can have the main firing piston maintain a short throw, while the air from it drives the bolt in a separate part of the launcher at whatever length I need.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:16 am

Sounds very cool, if the asthetics are anything like your older projects then no doubt that will be a very 'sexy' launcher :)

P.S I'm delighted to see that you still post here :)

tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 pm

The idea is to make this one as compact and clean as possible. This is the new production prototype that will be sold to military and police that is based on feedback and experience with the Eclipse Revolvers. This is based on the original base gun, whereas I am manufacturing another gun that is based on the Elevator action launcher. The Revolver is becoming a belt fed platform.

I am testing the new barrels today. I will post some pics later.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Could you also post details on how the spiral porting will work. It sounds a lot easier to manufacture than rifling.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I am dubious about the spiral porting. It is used in paintball, but opponents point out that the outer shell of the paintball is all that you are really spinning and that the liquid inside staying mostly static doesn't improve accuracy. I am hoping that the solid rounds will be a different story.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Solar wrote:I am dubious about the spiral porting.

As you should be. Spiral porting won't induce any spin.
If anyone doubts me, I challenge them to explain how they think such a thing can work. How does such porting impart a rotational force on the projectile?

Porting will improve accuracy (ironically, by reducing spin), but spiral porting will just offer looks, no actual ballistic improvement over porting arranged any other way.

It is used in paintball, but opponents point out that the outer shell of the paintball is all that you are really spinning

We've had this discussion before.

We know that backspin works on paintballs, which means that paintballs can be meaningfully spun - the paint is thick enough for it to work.
Hence, rifling can work on paintballs. Not necessarily as well as with a solid projectile, but it can work.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:06 am

I have the barrels done, but it is late and my camera is not here. I will test and take pics tomorrow. I did not opt to have the spiral one cut.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion