Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

DIY HPA route? (Diaphragm pump?)

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 pm

yo I think the diaphragm idea can be redeemed, think about pressure washers they can produce several thousand psi in hydraulic pressure, in fact even the cheapest (under $100) electric ones produce more than 1000psi which pimpmann is trying to reach, the two easiest ways I can think of to convert the hydraulic pressure into equal pneumatic pressure are:
a)inject the hydraulic source into a sealed tank of air, thus compressing the air inside. however a cheap large volume tank that can handle such pressure is hard to find, draining the water may take some time, and when using it to fill a chamber you face the challenge of trying to fill the tank as much as possible, without over filling
b)build a diaphragm system, the control valve could be controlled by a timing circuit although it isn't very efficient, you could figure out how to put a momentary switch in there

Attachments
diaphramconverter.PNG
diaphramconverter.PNG (13.2 KiB) Viewed 854 times

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I was recently thinking about HPA, and found this.

My next idea involved calculating the force required to pump as a function of piston position. I ended up with some really ugly equations involving the angular position of a motor, converting torque into pound force. toward the end of the stroke, the force skyrockets (theoretically to infinity) I then related the angular position to the force required to compress the air. I ended up with an equation of the net force as a function of angular position. I can give the equations if anyone wants.

That drove me to think that using the up stroke to compress an air spring would give a large advantage by spreading the required force over the full rotation, rather than half of one. This and the previous idea only only work on single stage pumps.

A multistage pump would be very feasible with this gear head pimpmann has. Does pimpmann have a lathe?

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: hayabura » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 am

thank you

diaphragm pump
vacuum pump

Note from moderator CS:
This post and link seem odd. I may be crazy, but on the side of caution I scrambled the link. I'll figure this out soon. If I'm crazy just tell me.

hayabura
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion