Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

is CO2 worth it

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

do u think a co2 system is worth it if my compresser can only go to 120psi and i cant get a new 1

Poll ended at Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:51 pm

yes it is worth it
33%
no it's not worth it
67%

Total votes : 6
  • Author
is CO2 worth it

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:51 pm

hi guys (and girls) i as wondering if it would be worth investing in a co2 system since my compressor will only go to 120psi
i haven't built my gun yet but i will be doing it soon as it is my bday on the 28th november so i will have some cash and my gun will probaly be an all metal coxal 'sniper" with piston valve and wooden stock
so do u think it is worth getting a co2 set up or not

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:07 pm

If you're making a smaller calibre launcher, and you can invest in a design that can take the forces involved, its worth looking into higher pressures.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I would vote for compressed air from a scuba tank. www.ninjapaintball.com has nice little tanks and fill stations. You need to regulate using air or co2, so why not go air?

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 pm

IMO co2 as a propellent is just slightly better than mud. I recently gave it up for nitrogen and plan to move to helium as the next step.

velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm

How you buy CO2 will affect your operating cost. How you use your launcher will affect the performance. Other gases such a He have high per shot costs. Light gas will make any small leak into a huge leak. High volumes can fit through the smallest cracks at high speed. CO2 is the reverse. Due to the mass, any flow restrictions will slow CO2. Use CO2 on high COEF valves.

With loose projectiles (poor barrel seal) the CO2 will perform better as less gas will leak past the projectile. With a good seal and attempts to reach SOS, the air will be a better performer.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Solar wrote:I would vote for compressed air from a scuba tank. www.ninjapaintball.com has nice little tanks and fill stations. You need to regulate using air or co2, so why not go air?

One advantage of CO2 over air/nitrogen is storage density. Much more energy can be stored in the same volume tank if you're using CO2. This can result in a significanly more portable system. In addition, depending on your location CO2 may be a lot cheaper (but this seems to be geographically dependent).

So if you have a high coef valve for your application and are shooting safely subsonic, there are no disadvantages to CO2 and in fact, some advantages.

As for the orginal question of "is CO2 worth it?" As in so many cases, the correct answer is, "It depends...."

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 am

Solar wrote:I would vote for compressed air from a scuba tank. Ninja Paintball has nice little tanks and fill stations. You need to regulate using air or co2, so why not go air?

I can vouch for the usefulness of such a setup, though granted I already had the SCUBA tank available for my PCPs

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:35 am

how many psi does a scuba tank go to(just a cheap 1)

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:49 am

They are normally filled to between 250-300 Bar (3750-4500 psi)

The paintball tanks linked to are normally filled to 3000 psi and the reg output can then be adjusted to 450/650/850 psi by adding or removing shims.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:00 am

well i live in Austraila and i don't think that i can get any paint ball stuff because i don't have i gun licance nor does any 1 in my family but can get a scuba tank
sooooooooooo could i use a propane tank or any thing else like that (if i did this i would use a scuba tank to fill what ever i use

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:32 am

You should be able to buy CO2/HPA bottles. They do have uses other than airguns and paintball.

Definitely DON'T fill a propane cylinder directly from a scuba tank. They are intended for 100 psi or so depending on temperature, and scuba tanks are filled to over 3000 psi.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:33 am

you'd have to be very careful with filling though if doing so directly from the SCUBA tank, your launcher should include some sort of safety feature like a pop-off valve or burst disk.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:43 am

ok thanks for the advice u probaly stoped another 13 year old from blowing him self up lol

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:42 am

D_Hall wrote:So if you have a high coef valve for your application and are shooting safely subsonic, there are no disadvantages to CO2 and in fact, some advantages.

As for the orginal question of "is CO2 worth it?" As in so many cases, the correct answer is, "It depends...."

CO2 seems to be better for heavier projectiles at high pressures, Decimater shoots superballs faster with hpa, and steel bearings faster with co2...

My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 am

Hell what IS the rating on those bbq propane canisters, they sure look like they could take atleast 400psi...

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion