Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

could a Pneumatic spud gun work under water

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

cannon monkey wrote:this is just me being stupid but could i sit on my chamber and fire under water do you guys think it would push me or just end up me with broken bone or badly hurt

if you guys think it will work i bring under water camera

:lol:
Only if you are a girl...

I mean, besides the fact that your family jewels 'll get rammed off, you will get pushed...

The difference between a water rocket and a spudgun under water is that the rocket provides a constant force over time, and the spudgun is just BLAM.
First fire a barrel full of water (carefully, low pressure) and then see for yourself how much it will push you. A completely submerged spudgun will push even harder.

EDIT:
Maybe if you use a small constant air thrust, you could. A big air tank and a blowgun perhaps?

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Look, todo it you need a way of either firing and taking the recoil or have the gun do it on its own.

Be inline with the gun and have it rest firmly on your shoulder, avoding the colar bone, you should be lieing, use a snorkel, when it fires just be ready for the gun to push you back.

Or

Hold the gun well under you, when you fire release your grip and watch her fly, make sure the area behind you is clear. And that there is nothign on the gun that can take of your fingers.

Best bet is something infront of the barrel to stop water from coming in.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:29 pm

well thats interesting to no i do hav a underwater camber so i might try this but i will need to work out some sort of fill meconism

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Fill with bike pump, above water, then put it underwater?

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Please use your common sense and fire it remotely.

I think that the result will convince you to never try it while holding it under water.

This idea seems very dangerous and could probably kill you.

I strongly advise you not to hold any pneumatic spudgun underwater while firing.

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Brian the brain wrote:Please use your common sense and fire it remotely.

I think that the result will convince you to never try it while holding it under water.

This idea seems very dangerous and could probably kill you.

I strongly advise you not to hold any pneumatic spudgun underwater while firing.
Well actually btb as long as you are bracing it against an object it is quite okay. I made a simple coaxial and shot it underwater. While i think it was the smallness of the gun (1/2 inch chamber) If a cannon is braced it should be able to take the force. I wouldnt use pvc though.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: kenbo0422 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Pneumatic? Look at it this way: You already have it at a 'high' pressure. The fact that it will take a much longer time to expand through the barrel and at the same time be decreasing in pressure, while under water, tells me that the 'impact' you seem to be anticipating is going to be far less sudden than you think. The water will help to keep the recoil from being so violent as it would be in air. And, unless you use a 'spear' as a projectile that completely fills the barrel to displace any water, you won't get much out of it but a rush of bubbles.

kenbo0422
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 pm

kenbo0422 wrote:Pneumatic? Look at it this way: You already have it at a 'high' pressure. The fact that it will take a much longer time to expand through the barrel and at the same time be decreasing in pressure, while under water, tells me that the 'impact' you seem to be anticipating is going to be far less sudden than you think. The water will help to keep the recoil from being so violent as it would be in air. And, unless you use a 'spear' as a projectile that completely fills the barrel to displace any water, you won't get much out of it but a rush of bubbles.
100 psi buy no means is high pressure. Its not pressure that matters so much as volume of air and water displacement. The golden law that everyone loves, for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 am

i was just asking if it would be ok if it got wet

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: MRR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:39 am

That's normal on this forum. A simple question can end up in an endless discussion. :D

As long as your cannon gets "wet" there shouldn't be a problem. Just check that there is no water in it before you fire it.

MRR
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:47 am

bradisfun wrote:i was just asking if it would be ok if it got wet

Yes. A cannon can get wet and may safely be fired again, even while wet.

For the others:
Firing while underwater is dangerous. On top of that barrels full of water have been known to snap a fitting and blow the cannon.

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: kenbo0422 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:17 am

Obviously you've never watched explosive decompression up close under water. If it were a combustion, I might agree, but not with this.

kenbo0422
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion