Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Timer grenade, pre-loaded shell and mag fed vids *New Pics*

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Timer grenade, pre-loaded shell and mag fed vids *New Pics*

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Last edited by Solar on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 am

Damn, can't see the videos from work. By preloaded cartridge do you mean self contained cartridge with its own air supply?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 am

Yes. Both the timer grenade and the pre loaded cartridge are similar in operation, but both will be made more like the pre loaded cartridge since it makes more efficient use of space. The timer grenade is meant to actually be launched out the barrel, while the cartridge is designed to fit into a 40mm launcher like the m203 or m32 (or even airsoft grenade launchers since it has a super light activation) and it shoots a 40mm foam round that can also contain an infrared transmitter for M.I.L.E.S. training.

The design of the cartridge is similar to operation to the valve on the Eclipse launcher, but the piston rod extends through the ballast chamber and opens up on the far end where it pushes the round off that is slipped over it like a condom. One small glitch we have is the foam expands and grips the barrel wall. We need to place a hard sleeve of either cardboard or polycarbonate tubing that will give the round a rigid surface to slide off the cartridge. We could also make it so it pushes something out the front end like a miniature barrel and uses a slightly smaller diameter empennage. I can take soe more pics in the next few days and pm you with some other details Jsr. I saw that you have been working on a number of design with cartridges. These were designed to be a better, more reliable replacement for typical airsoft style propane 40mm rounds. The have a few hundred psi operating pressure. I have gotten them up to 500 so far, but shuold be able to rework the triggering to handle more.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 am

ok, so I double posted on accident. Since I don't see the delete button I will just edit it and explain that the launcher will have an under barrel air source and that air runs through the entire gun through o-ringed manifolds, allowing us to tap air from multiple sources. It will have a magazine and side plates to keep fingers out. We were having the bolt chop carrots and fling carrot buckshot out the barrel.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 am

Sweet, it would be interesting to see the workings, as you know this type of launcher is one I'm very fond of :) I hope to be able to see the videos from home

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 am

Solar wrote:... the cartridge is designed to fit into a 40mm launcher like the m203 or m32 (or even airsoft grenade launchers since it has a super light activation)

As far as I understood, airsoft grenade launchers were designed in such a way so that there was no compatibility between military 40mm grenades and airsoft 40mm grenades. (Although whether that's to stop terrorist types trying to use airsoft launchers to fire real grenades, or to stop total twits blowing themselves up isn't something I know.)

Or am I mistaken?

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 am

Looks like he beat you to it jack. :lol:

Nice job Solar, you always amaze us with your work.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:36 am

psycix wrote:Looks like he beat you to it jack. :lol:

Can't see the video, does the cartridge eject :shock:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:06 am

WOW, super impressive Solar

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:25 pm

The airsoft style pre loaded propane ones use a pin that is only moved by a levered force from the trigger pull. An m203 or m79, 32 etc uses a spring powered pin.

The cartridges do not eject from the launcher shown. The timed grenades leave complete. The cartridge is used in an m203 airsoft replica and at higher pressures the spring powered firing pins would be useful in the real thing.

The launcher will have a magazine that is spring powered, unlike the pneumatic powered magazine of the elevator actioned launcher. 4" then 6" receivers are next. This one is currently 40mm rounds only. The magazine for 40mm rounds will have two rows. I am also interested in a q-loader type 40mm feeder on the front under the barrel with a helical coil feeding the rounds. A hopper would work as well. This is made to be universal with air system configurations and other magazine like a drum or otherwise. Looking for high rof and accuracy.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:57 am

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion