Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Rifling machine

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Rifling machine

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey guys, it has been a while since i posted any topics, but while browsing home made airguns, i stumbled upon this picture gallery showing the making of a rifling machine: http://www.orro.net/Rifling%20machine/index.htm

With proper tools and a good knowledge of machining, I believe this is a very feasible task. Perhaps someone on here could replicate this design to their own specifications and requirements and apply it with good results.

It also came to my attention that the machine is being made on what I perceive is a wood lathe but correct me if I am wrong. I also have the home page for the creator(s) here: http://www.orro.net/index.php?p=1_5_Non-dental. It also strikes me as odd that they would advertise dental care with air rifles? Maybe there is a market for dentistry with a free air rifle instead of a lollipop!

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Rifling machine

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Looks cool.
Mr.Sandman wrote:It also strikes me as odd that they would advertise dental care with air rifles? Maybe there is a market for dentistry with a free air rifle instead of a lollipop!

Ha!!! I now want to go to the dentist!

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Marffy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 pm

that would be a nice tool. i wish someone could invent a very cheap device that you attatch to a drill or something to rifle things

"Hard work has a future pay-off. Laziness pays off now."
Marffy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Marffy wrote:that would be a nice tool. i wish someone could invent a very cheap device that you attatch to a drill or something to rifle things

Wow..just wow...

You can buy or make a rifling button or even a cutter. Most drill's aren't accurate (well if you're holding it, the degree of accuracy over that length is around zero). There are some hand cranked machines to do rifling with, though now the processes of making a gun bore are essentially all done by machine.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Marffy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:33 pm

inonickname wrote:
Marffy wrote:that would be a nice tool. i wish someone could invent a very cheap device that you attatch to a drill or something to rifle things

Wow..just wow...

i've never seen one. never heard of one. are they cheap? do they work on a big bore? 2"+?

"Hard work has a future pay-off. Laziness pays off now."
Marffy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Doing rifling by hand was common a fair while ago, so there may still be machines around. They will be cheap in terms of how much a rifling machine would usually cost (but that doesn't make it exactly cheap). If you made the cutting piece bigger (not cheap if your working with carbide or HSS) you could theoretically use it on bigger bores. However the volume of metal you're removing would increase exponentially so it won't be particularly easy work.

Gippeto posted a picture a while ago, we'll see if he chimes in.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:08 am

This one?

Or was it a sine bar rifling machine? I remember posting a link to one or two.

Really, the cutter body could be made from hard wood, the only piece that has to be HSS is the actual rifling cutter bit. The "old" technique for increasing depth of cut was to put another paper shim (cigarette papers) under the cutter bit.

K.I.S.S. used to be the order of the day. :)

Al xg made a rifling button, thread here;

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/rifled- ... 15685.html

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: eriko1337 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:02 am

wow its very cool! wish i had one of these

eriko1337
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion