Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

6mm pistol design 2.1

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
6mm pistol design 2.1

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:12 pm

I know that i am pprogressing kinda slowly as i am in school and busy, but i had various moments to think of the design. So i realised that i was not able to machine an hammer valve without too much big leaks from the hammer rod connected to the outside ...

So its piston time!

The new valve slightly modified the design for the better as now the wooden stock covers the end, thus making a stronger structural point (wich i didn't knew how to hold the barrel on the v 1.0 ) for the upper part.

My only concern is the trigger :

Will the speed of activation of the trigger modify the opening speed of the valve, and the ammo velocity?

I certainly dont want to be able to empty the air tank without shooting by fiddling on the trigger ...

So ?

Attachments
pistol2 good.JPG
asd
Last edited by Demon on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 6mm pistol design 2.0

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Demon wrote:My only concern is the trigger :

Will the speed of activation of the trigger modify the opening speed of the valve, and the ammo velocity?

Yes. Inconsistant as all heck.

Try again...don't give up. :)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 am

This is what i thought too...

Then, what about this design?

When you press the trigger, it releases the seal wich moves back because of the seal that goes in the sealing tube, giving it enough inertia to move back far enough, and most importantly, consistently .

The spring will have to be strong enough to squish the sealing face, enabling the trigger to catch the "sealing bolt" (in red) .

Attachments
pistol2 good v2.0.JPG
asd
Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 pm

You're going to have trouble getting a reliable seal that works for any length of time.

Change it to a probe with an oring, which fits inside the port, and slides clear when released. Silicone (divers) grease will be your lubricant of choice for that oring.

Then I think you're good to go.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Well, sadly, its easier to say then to do :cry:
But i am working hard ...

And i have a question over pressure safety :

Can a aluminium over aluminium press fit (hammered in) with metal epoxy hold to 200 psi ?

Attachments
pistol2 scopes.JPG
asd
Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:08 pm

I received the barrel (6.03 madbull barrel and .43 g bb's ) a few hours ago and i tested it on my sprinkler valve potato canon (with an adapter)
and it was pretty impressive...

At only 400 fps, i shot a wood piece and got enough penetration to get the bb stuck at 450 fps i dented a 2/3 of a millimeter steel plate of 3-4 mm :twisted:

The final version (with much higher psi) would shoot at 520 fps ... and be portable

When i shot pvc, the bb was in very tiny fragments .

Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion