Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

piston valve help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
piston valve help

Unread postAuthor: sp1ke » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm

i am making a piston valve for my latest sniper rifle and have been having some trouble

i cant find any hose barbs that will work, what can i use instead of a hose barb for my gun?

i know that there are threads that talk about this same question so you dont need to tell me i cant seem to find an adequate answer so thats why im asking. and yes i know how to search and use google.

the T is 1/2" with a 1/2" nipple that houses my hot glue piston with a neoprene sealing face. I have an elbow at the bottom of the T that connects to a 1/2 ball valve that connects to a foot long 1" chamber. I plan to pilot and fill it with a blow gun.

sp1ke
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 pm

First off, might want to upgrade the blowgun pilot if the volume between the piston and the blowgun is large... And also for the barb problem... you can just put a cap with a nipple to connect it or a threaded plug and drill a hole in it to put the barrel through and the piston would seal directly into the barrel. What size is your barrel? I'm guessing half inch... If it is then this method might not work. But if you up the T size to 3/4 then it will.
Hope this helps,
~Gun Freak

Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 391 times
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:28 am

a blow gun will be plenty for a 1/2 inch tee i use it on a 1 1/4 inch .
if you can solder cut the threds off a fitting and solder pipe in to it.
the pic above is wrong the barrel need to come 1/2 way in to the tee .

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FighterAce » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:06 am

You could get a 1/2 - 3/8 or 1/2 - 1/4 reducer with threads on the outside, grind off the hexagonal pieces for the wrench and screw it into the Tee with the 3/8 or 1/4 side pointing to the piston. Thats what I did and it works great.

FighterAce
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 pm

-_- wrote: the pic above is wrong the barrel need to come 1/2 way in to the tee .

Sorry, I drew it in 2 minutes.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

I will have to pull a tech and direct you to my piston hybrid...

except I have no pics of the valve...

Anyway, I was facing the same issue as you, and I decided to use copper fittings. Basically what you need is a copper pipe to MPT the same size as your tee, a copper reducer to one copper size smaller than the thread adapter, a short length of both sizes of copper pipe, and a threaded adapter to your final barrel size, or just leave it copper out the tee.

File out the ridge in the reducer that keeps you from sticking the pipe all the way through.

Flux, lightly screw the MPT thread into the tee, and push the barrel size pipe into the tee as far as you want it, keeping in mind it will go in further when you use a wrench.

take the copper parts out, and solder it all together. There are a bunch of tutorials out there about soldering pipe.

Thread that back into the tee, and you're done!

When I upgrade my hybrid for MOAR flow, I'll take pictures and put it on the wiki...

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion