Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

select fire auto-piston design

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
select fire auto-piston design

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm

so auto pistons are nice, but I was thinking what if the piston could also be used as a trigger valve. if the pressure input was regulated to just below the opening pressure this design should work.
but first I have to ask do regulators lose substantial amounts of flow when the pressure on the output side of the regulator is near the pressure setting? would this effect prevent the design from having high ROF? if so how could it be fixed?

Attachments
select fire snap valve1.PNG
proposed design
select fire snap valve1.PNG (20.99 KiB) Viewed 876 times

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm

That looks good. I would use it as a pilot valve, depending on your caliber, to keep the spring force/trigger weight manageable.

Regulators do drop off in flow as pressure reaches what they are set for, so you will have some "shoot down" depending on your regulator, volume of the buffer chamber, bore, etc.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Air leakage at the trigger rod?

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:25 pm

probably negligible.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I just don't get it. I can see that pulling either trigger will fire the gun but, what is going to reseat the piston after the "Auto Trigger" is pulled and the chamber evacuates? Without releasing the auto trigger after each shot, the piston will remain unseated. If the trigger must be released after each shot....it's not an "Auto trigger". The "Auto Trigger" seems to be nothing more than the "Semi trigger" with more leverage and longer throw.

velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 pm

I think it's a bit of an unnecessary complication, with an autopiston design like this one light pressure on the trigger (assuming it's spring loaded to return shut unlike the ball valve setup illustrated) is enough to give you one shot.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm

velocity3x wrote:I just don't get it. I can see that pulling either trigger will fire the gun but, what is going to reseat the piston after the "Auto Trigger" is pulled and the chamber evacuates? Without releasing the auto trigger after each shot, the piston will remain unseated. If the trigger must be released after each shot....it's not an "Auto trigger". The "Auto Trigger" seems to be nothing more than the "Semi trigger" with more leverage and longer throw.

that's because you have to understand auto pistons first, the concept behind an auto piston (also known as snap valves or pop-off valves) is that when the pressure reaches the opening point it opens but once it's opened there is a larger cross sectional area of the piston revealed, more area means more force to open the piston, so the piston flys open and stays open until there is a substantial pressure drop

@JSR
yeah but I kinda need semi auto ability for a nerf gun because the rules for HvZ games on my campus, also typical blow guns have bad flow for filling larger chambers for semi and full auto purposes, unless you'd prefer something like a regulator bypass valve setup

so guys I'm considering this for a nerf gun, I'm thinking of using a piston 1" to 1.25" in diameter and a chamber fairly small like a section of 1" pipe less then an foot long, and for an air source nothing special just a typical air compressor regulator. so any guesstimations on performance and feasibility?

also I don't have any concern for leaks around the rod, as you should know any spot that isn't constantly under pressure doesn't need to be air tight, which is why almost no one uses o-rings on their breech setups

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion