Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hoses as good as hard pipe ?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Hoses as good as hard pipe ?

Unread postAuthor: tatfree » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 pm

I am asking this because my project has to fit inside a certain size container and I'm just not sure I can get away with hard pipes and fittings.
I will not exceed over 200 PSI and am using 3/4" QEV and barrel diameter is 2" if that matters for the question .

Thanks

tatfree
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 pm

So you want large bore piping that can handle 200PSI? Well you definitely can get it, I just think that piping like that will be like hardpipes and you will struggle to bend it inside a container.

Hydraulic stores definitely carry large diameter piping that can handle those pressures. Cost you quite a bit I imagine. Here it's $10USD (equivalent) for a meter of 1/4" hose.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm

not sure what you want. more info would be nice

if you wanna use hose as a chamber yes you cant if you get pressure rated hose but it will expand when full or air so you can cast it in a shell like a stock it will crack when filled up

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: tatfree » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 pm

MrCrowley wrote:So you want large bore piping that can handle 200PSI? Well you definitely can get it, I just think that piping like that will be like hardpipes and you will struggle to bend it inside a container.

Hydraulic stores definitely carry large diameter piping that can handle those pressures. Cost you quite a bit I imagine. Here it's $10USD (equivalent) for a meter of 1/4" hose.

I was was thinking it could still be a problem like you said, but figured it's still going to be easier than hard stuff. Hopefully since I only want to 200 psi the hose may still be a little bendable.

edit by MrCrowley - Please don't double post. Use the edit button

-_- wrote:not sure what you want. more info would be nice

if you wanna use hose as a chamber yes you cant if you get pressure rated hose but it will expand when full or air so you can cast it in a shell like a stock it will crack when filled up

No not using the hose as my chamber, just asking about the plumbing that goes from the valves and chambers to the barrel to be made of hose instead of hard pipe and fittings.
Actually I still may go with hard fittings, and use hose for everthing else.

tatfree
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:55 pm

In a direct comparison, hose is actually superior in performance. This is due to nice smooth bends instead of the comparitively sharp bends found in most pipe.

It does, of course, have downsides.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 pm

McMaster.com #54595K37 - 1.5" hose, rated for 150PSI, no attachments, $8.56 per foot and you have to buy at least 5 feet as I understand it.
When you get around to putting fittings on it etc, it seems easier just to make hard pipe work.

Give us some information about your restrictions and perhaps we have some other ideas that suit your needs.

MrCrowley

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion