Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

micro compressor, the final attempt

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: chinnerz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 am

haha yeah, i know i am probably going to get some poor results, but its something which i have been thinking about for some time, and since i have the compressor.... ill give it a go.... mainly for entertainment purposes

chinnerz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Patto » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 am

yeah man give it a go ... What have you got to loose and if anything you can tell people that you've tried it and it's not worth it ! Or you could get it to work and be the man in this area 8) good luck

Patto
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 am

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 am

For the money, I upgraded to a small 3 gallon compressor. Harbor Freight had it for about $60. For another $65 I picked up a Costco power inverter and wired it in my car. I've got portable air now.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: chinnerz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 am

well i recon u should try this and drills arn't that much
: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RUPESTOOL-Power- ... 010032QQcm dZViewItemQQptZAU_Power_Tools?hash=item2559a893b0

yeah that is good! but i dont buy stuff online..... juuust dont trust it.

For the money, I upgraded to a small 3 gallon compressor. Harbor Freight had it for about $60. For another $65 I picked up a Costco power inverter and wired it in my car. I've got portable air now.

i live in aus, so that will cost me a fair bit to ship it n' stuff. also i have a cheap compressor i dont know how big it is but it looks fairly big... and it gets up to 120psi, which is enough right now.... this project is just for fun

chinnerz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: bradisfun » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:37 am

yeah but for 5 bucks? not much could go wrong, and if it does work then ur in luck, if it doesn't then ur only down a few bucks
i never used to get stuff online but once i started it saved me sooo much

bradisfun
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:43 pm

That's a sweet idea (crank powered compressor)! Figure out how much torque it takes, figure out the length of the crank you need so you can easily crank it, and mount it directly to where the motor was connected (you can use the same gear and everything). If you get this to work, I'm gonna mod mine too (the two gallon compressor I use for my minis isn't that useful anyway, plus, it was free).

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I say you just build a stirrup pump cuz they can get high pressures and in the end there really isn't any chance that they won't work, and your idea doesn't sound very good anyway (no offense). Hand cranking when you can do the same thing with a few strokes of a stirrup pump. Just my opinion. Haha my ideas get rejected all the time too :lol:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Gun Freak wrote:I say you just build a stirrup pump cuz they can get high pressures and in the end there really isn't any chance that they won't work, and your idea doesn't sound very good anyway (no offense). Hand cranking when you can do the same thing with a few strokes of a stirrup pump. Just my opinion. Haha my ideas get rejected all the time too :lol:

In my experience, it takes a more than a few stokes with a "stirrup pump". I had some back pains from using those too. Even if it's not the most efficient thing, I think it would be sweet, and as posted above, you could hook up anything that creates circular/rotational motion (e.g. an exercise bike as posted above), not just a hand crank.

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: chinnerz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:58 am

keep saying im making this for fun.....
i know i can make a stirrup, and in fact i will only need to buy some hose for the connections.

That's a sweet idea (crank powered compressor)! Figure out how much torque it takes, figure out the length of the crank you need so you can easily crank it, and mount it directly to where the motor was connected (you can use the same gear and everything). If you get this to work, I'm gonna mod mine too (the two gallon compressor I use for my minis isn't that useful anyway, plus, it was free).

i can turn the white gear with my hand, and if i block it off the meter says 2 rotations gets it up to 40 psi. but since i dont have a welder or any other parts like that... so i may end up getting a drill

chinnerz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: theBOOM » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 am

Or for 25 dollars and some spare fittings you can get pretty much an unlimited supply of 600 psi or so, if this dosen't work def. try finding a fridge compressor. Mine was free, got it from my grandma's old fridge :lol: 8)

theBOOM
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: chinnerz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 am

600 will be awesome, but it will end up costing me a bit. i have looked around heaps and the cheapest working fridge is $500

chinnerz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 am

the problems I've had were with cooling, the motor would run but it would over heat and start spewing air before it would even finish pressurizing my chamber, I think the only thing that would fix it would be a heat sink and a lubrication system

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm

As others have said, the motor likely isn't the source of your problem. That looks like a 27 turn 550 size motor, which should have more than enough torque to run a pump with such a small piston cross section.

What exactly is the problem anyway?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: chinnerz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 pm

its broken, and the other motor i have only gets up to 60 then cant push any more. The issue i was facing before was not being able to find a good/cheap battery to power it, i have tries 2 but they are only 500 and 700 mah. And run out way to quickly. I decided what could be better than human power. However dont hzve the equipment to pull it off, so just for kicks i am going to get a powerdrill in a 1:1 ratio with the piston. Otherwise this compressor will continue to sit in ruin...

Sry if i had a few things out of place in that body of text i am on my phone

chinnerz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion