Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

baffles in silencers

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:35 pm

@c11 you might want to try and do what i did for the LRR prototype @650 psi, I made a muffler for the exhaust port and it went from an ear drum shattering crack to a dull thud.

Yeah, it's that important.
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:It also means you don't need hearing protection to use it without damaging your ears.

I wouldn't use it as an excuse to not use basic safety gear. Not only is it still wise to have them for normal use, but there are noises the suppressor isn't going to make quieter - chamber failure for example.

It also might make it possible to use indoors.

Not really a good idea either. However you look at it, you're still introducing a large amount of air to a room. You might be doing it slower than with an unsuppressed cannon, but it's still pretty damned fast. Suppressors will not have a notable effect on the hearing damage caused by firing a pneumatic cannon in a confined space.

It does depend on how confined the space is, but if there's any doubt about it, don't.

metalmeltr wrote:How loud can an air cannon be?

What I'm in the middle of making will have a sound pressure level that could cause permanent hearing damage - even when I'm wearing ear defenders.
Suffice to say, they can be pretty loud.

Now, if you're actually serious that you don't use hearing protection when firing shotguns, I suggest you start - shotguns are easily loud to damage your hearing.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion