Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1st pneumatic rifle: idea and help with production

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 am

i dont live in Russia
yeah I knew that.... I read that part of the text

I really think you should use threaded fittings and pipes... this stuff really makes life easier... sure at first it seems it's a bit expensive when compared with PVC but everything you buy can be used in the future (unlike PVC)

SO you can start with a coulple of fittings, pipes and a ballvalve and you can build a simlpe BV cannon with it. Then you buy a QEV and you upgrade your gun with it (meaning htat you use the parts that you already have) and then you can even buy a DCV valve (3 way valve) and build a semi/full auto

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:26 am

Russian_Kangaroo wrote: That is actually a pretty nifty design that i have seen while roaming the forums but i dont think i would be able to scale to the gun i want to make. I was hoping to build a rifle - esque pneumatic that fired 50 cal round.

I got the idea from here, (I was "fullmetaljacket" back then), the pictures are dead not but Spudinator was using 12 gauge slugs of the type shaped like airgun pellets (like these - shuttlecock shaped, or shuttle[male reproductive organs] according to spudtech :D) in a 0.75" barrel and was getting good semi-auto feeding.

Do your rounds fire quite strong at 100 psi seeing as there would, im guessing, be a level of leaniance in the barrel to allow for the pellets to be able to fall into the the barrel in the correct position or do the angled tails really remove most of this needed room. Im sure that design could be made in a semi automatic fashion but the the round that i wish to use neesd to be able to recieve the best fit possible.

At 100 psi as you can see from the video my design was putting 0.22" pellets through 0.5mm aluminium pretty easily, if you scale up the calibre for the same pressure (and valve efficiency) you will get a lot more force, eg going from 0.25" to 0.50" you will get 4 times the force. For smaller calibres, higher pressure is a better idea.

Secondly one question i need to know for that gun is how you attached the hopper?

Epoxy :D

Does the pressure have a huge effect seeing as the compressed air is trying to escape and so will take any path or does the compressed air pass the closed area of the barrel that makes of the area where ammuntion comes from, having negigible effects on the ammuntion feeding area?

Naturally as the air expands into the hopper it will lose pressure and therefore give you less power, but for a small sealed hopper it won't make a huge difference. You can also negate this by including some form of blow-forward bolt that seals off the magazine on firing.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion