Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 37 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

More "T" piston discussion...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
More "T" piston discussion...

Unread postAuthor: Marffy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 pm

If i want to fill my HPA "T" piston valve by putting the fill valve in the chamber of the gun, not behind the piston, will i need a stronger spring to push the piston? or just the same? do piston valve cannons with springs have worse performance? same? or... ?

I'd also like to know if a burst-disk would have any affect of a HPA piston "T" cannon and how fast has any body gotten a piston cannon to fire (RPM wise) because it would be cool if i could make a semi-auto HPA piston cannon. discuss.

Thanks in advanced.

"Hard work has a future pay-off. Laziness pays off now."
Marffy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Assuming you have a well lubricated piston with effective equalisation, you don't need that strong a spring if filling from the chamber side. Naturally a spring will dreuce the velocity with which the piston opens but in practice I doubt you will see a significant drop in performance.

A burst disk in a multi-shot won't really work, what you need is some kind of o-ring or detent that will hold the projectile in the breech until enough pressure builds up to fire it. As to RPM, pretty friggin fast;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 am

My biggest problem with springs and piston valves is they tend to destroy the spring. I gave up on trying to use them long ago. I use a puff of air in the pilot to close the valve and provide the initial holding pressure then blast it full in the chamber.

My Mouse Musket was the last functioning traditional piston valve cannon I had. It is now retired. My current line are all QDV cannons. Valve is closed by simply pushing in the knob and filling the chamber.

I do have plans to build one in a T, but I am going to finish my 2.5 inch build first. Now that the weather is nice again, I need to get busy working on it.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion