Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

size vs. pressure

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
size vs. pressure

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:52 pm

so i was just randomly thinking and figured i just put it up here, would there be a functional difference between a large chamber with low pressure ( around 50 psi) or a smaller chamber with a higher pressure ( say 400 psi) both holding the same amount of air, wouldn't the smaller chamber work better? i doubt it be much of a difference but it seems to me that it would

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm

It depends on the projectile diameter .

Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

A high pressure chamber is more efficient at transferring energy to the projectile, especially when the launcher is equipped with a relatively short barrel.

If both chambers contain the same amount of potential energy, the one filled to the higher pressure will yield better performance.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm

The composition of your projectile may limit practical impulse energy delivered to the projectile. Many of the Pumpkin Cannons are limited in air pressure due to the soft nature of the projectile. To transfer the energy, a longer barrel is used (often near 100 feet) and a larger lower pressure chamber is used.

The construction of your launcher may provide additional limits. A soda can launcher at high pressure will provide a heavy recoil at high pressure. A higher volume chamber and lower pressure can limit the recoil force and still reach high muzzle velocities. A 7 foot barrel at 100 PSI gives a good solid recoil kick. A smaller chamber at higher pressure could become unmanageable for a hand-held launcher.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:22 am

Oops posted in the link bumping it. Post moved here where it belongs;

I like your numbers. I need to put together a fridge compressor for my Marshmallow cannon. In theory I can go to 300 PSI with it. With the 7 foot long TB barrel it should do a nice job.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion