Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Plague damage preview

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Find a big tree and shoot a full soda into the trunk. I think you will like the result. It's amazing there is no wet soda spilled after the shot. It becomes a fine mist and drifts off.

Be careful launching heavy projectiles. It places more force on the valve. You don't want a valve to blow up on you. Trust me on that one. I blew a valve out of my ABS cannon when it had a PVC female adapter. I had to change to ABS after the PVC one shattered and the piston launched into my foot. That hurt. Your cannon is PVC. Be careful.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:06 pm

well i got the chance to go to my friends house and i can tell you that soda cans do not put too much force on the valve :D the annoying part is that i have to find all the peices of can after the shot :(

also i have no idea how you hip fire cans! cuz when mine shoots the cannon rolls back several feet. also the resulting fog leaves the area smelling of mountain frost witch is quite nice.

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 am

c11man wrote:wanna redue the 2inch qdv vs mine with full soda cans? i have a feeling i might win :D

I have a pop can hang time on youtube. Care to compare?
Listen for the impact for the hang time. 2 inch valve, 3 gallon chamber, 7 foot barrel, 100 PSI.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MzvW1Fy34E[/youtube]

As for shooting a tree with a full can at pressure, it is amazing the entire contents of a can quickly become a fine mist that drifts off and leaves the ground dry. A mist of Coke smells nice too.
To hip fire coke cans, I use the large rear of the chamber to lean into the launcher, and then take a step back when it goes off. :shock: Recoil is impressive. Do you have an impacted can photo?

Edit: I took the time to do the Audacity time of the pop can launch. The sound from launch to impact is about 12.6 seconds. The time the impact sound returns will need to be subtracted from the total time. Removing that .3 seconds leaves a hangtime of 12.3 seconds with a full soda.

Attachments
PopHangtime.jpg
Audacity audio time of the pop can launch.
Click for full size.
Last edited by Technician1002 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 am

very nice, i cannot do hang time because i can aim Plague straight up :(
the downside of a huge cannon....

also i didnt take pictures of the ruptured cans after impacting a block of wood but the is not nearly as much of the can in one peice as yours. the the walls of the can are shredded and completly removed from the top and bottom of the can

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I shred cans unless I can hit the tree dead on so the can pancakes where the top meets the bottom and provides 2 halves. Shooting through a bush or branches provides shrapnel.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Looks like you both need to agree on firing pressure, barrel size, and uniform ammo to have an official damage comparison. I think you should both try water filled tennis balls, just go pick up a large syringe at a pet store and inject it full of water. Mass your ammo and show your pressure on video and compare your damage afterwards

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 pm

why would we use tennis balls? soda cans dont differ very much from one to the next so its a great ammo for comperosons. and differing barrel lengths is part of the launcher so the diffence in lengh is fine, but pressure i dont generly take it up to 100psi so ill stay at 60 and he can stay at 100 and that should make up somewhat for his much smaller chamber than mine

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Can I play too? :D

For C11 and my own's safety sake, lets keep our's at or under 100PSI.

I just did a similar test with 10 gallon the other day, but with a full soup can at 490g.

If your going to use a soda can, agree on the brand, type and size as density's can very.

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 pm

All are welcome to participate. There is no prize. The largest difference between 12 oz sodas is diet or regular. The ones with lots of sugar weigh a little more. A top limit of 100 PSI is fine. It is all the higher my compressor goes. Can damage against a solid flat object is fine. I have a plate of steel and a 3 foot log, so I can use iron or wood targets.

If anybody else is able to do a hang time video, please post the link to the youtube video here. I have not dumped the sound of mine into audacity yet to time it to the nearest 0.1 seconds, but with a stopwatch I'm getting about 12.5 seconds of hang time.

At 60 PSI with the larger chamber and longer barrel, I'm sure the 3 inch valve might out launch my smaller chamber and smaller valve at 100 PSI.

I have not plugged both into GGDT to see what the prediction is.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 am

it's ok i'm here, now its a party :lol: ,just got a new pilot for my gun(3/4" piston valve), i will probably do a hang time video too, because i have a feeling that the difference in damage isn't going to be much for the 3" porters as far as soda cans go.

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:30 am

For those with smaller valves, you can play too. I have a tennis ball hang time video on youtube. The 1 inch was giving about 7 seconds of hang time with a tennis ball.

Specs, Marshmallow Cannon
Chamber 1Lb propane bottle
Valve 1 inch QDV
Barrel 7 foot 2.5 inch SDR-26
Pressure ~100 PSI
Hangtime, about 7 seconds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTXomfdLTE[/youtube]

Edit; My official can damage pic is here. It was loud. Anyone want to lend me a high speed camera?

Attachments
Cans and plate.JPG
The victims. Empty pop cans and a steel plate
Test Setup Ready.JPG
The setup, one victim is loaded. Top of the can is toward the valve.
Test Pressure.JPG
The test pressure, all the way to 100. I waited for the compressor to cycle off at 100.
Untouched Result.JPG
The can was found next to me. I took a photo before touching it. I found it unusual the center of the bottom is gone. I did not find it.
Pancaked can blowout.JPG
This is why it was loud. Even with the top of the can open, it blew out the side on impact.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Can damage

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 am

Bump, I found the bottom of the can after a search of the lawn. What I found blew me away. The bottom was standing on edge down in the grass which is why it was hard to spot. I picked it up and noticed the edges were very smooth, not sharp. I then noticed why, very evenly all the way around the edge is folded over. This recessed portion of the can flattened some on impact and made a Z fold in the bottom of the can and then tore loose leaving a nice folded over crimped edge.

Attachments
Can Bottom.JPG
Nice crimped edge all the way around.
Can Bottom1.JPG
Other side (can inside) of the bottom of the can.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am

Why empty cans?

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:13 am

It's the way the thread started. Empties fly at higher velocity and create some interesting damage. This impact was near SOS and very loud. I'll work on some chrono work later. Now I wonder how far I can launch an empty. I've already done some full cans into tree trunks. I have a set of can splat photos.

Last edited by Technician1002 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 am

Cool, works for me lol. Are we trying to shot this into a heavy piece of steel sheet for consistency?

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion