Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pneumatic Cannon

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pneumatic Cannon

Unread postAuthor: j.turner13 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions, they're basic so if the answers are somewhere else please point me in the right direction.

I am planning on building a CO2 powered pneumatic cannon with inter-changeable barrels. I have the plans pretty much set out in my head, the only thing I am having trouble with is how to connect the tank to the sprinkler valve then the sprinkler valve to the interchangeable barrels.

I also have a few different ideas for an interchangeable barrel system, so any suggestions on the best way to do it would be great.

I have built several combustion cannons before, however this is my first attempt at pneumatic. Any suggestions, no matter how basic, are appreciated.

Thanks

j.turner13
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:34 am

uh. threaded fittings lol :wink:

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: kjjohn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 am

In terms of connecting the tank to the sprinkler valve, do you mean the C02 tank, or the chamber? If you are referring to the C02 tank, this will not work. Discharging an entire C02 tank at once through a sprinkler valve will be inefficient, dangerous, and provide mediocre performance at best. You would be much better using the C02 tank as a "bulk storage" tank, and having a separate chamber. With this design, you could get many shots out of one C02 tank.

However, if you were referring to the chamber, then isn't it obvious? Standard PVC fittings.

For an interchangeable barrel system, I would suggest cam lever, or Banjo couplings. They will allow you to switch barrels quickly and easily.

kjjohn
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jhalek90 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 am

Be careful!, the C02 does not mic well with pvc.... especially at higher pressures.

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I wonder... if you put flammable vapours inside a lady... could you get her to diesel?

POLAND_SPUD wrote:Anything is possible with the proper 3-way valve.
jhalek90
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:01 am

If you use CO2, plan on only using a soda fountian type with a primary regulator to provide a maximum of 100 PSI to the PVC parts. Do not use single shot disposable cartridges. Overpressure is a very real danger as well as the cooling of boiling liquid CO2. PVC becomes very brittle when cold and behaves like glass.

Warm regulated CO2 is the only way to use it in a PVC launcher.

Screw on barrels is an easy way to provide a large variety of barrels for a given outlet from a valve.

Attachments
Barrels Galore.JPG
A small selection of barrels provides a wide selection of ammo for this little launcher. The valve is inside the tank.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion