Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

VARGAS Nitrogen (inert gas) powered cartridge gun system.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Missed that, serves me right for skimming through articles when I'm supposed to be working ;)

JSR,
Your "Skimming Skills" are in perfect working order. The quote I posted is from a different site. The fact that the mil rejected the Hydrogen model is not widely publicized. It was just a useless fact stored in my brain housing group.

Regarding the LVVWS:
I've personally witnessed demonstrations of both LVVWS and VARGAS. I can assure you that I'd rather take 20 rnds in the chest from the LVVWS rather than one rnd from VARGAS!

velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm

guess what... the guy patented a hydrogen powered nail gun a couple of years ago... and a 'hydrogen operated recreational launcher'

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7063247.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7254914.pdf

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jagerbond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:07 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:So there's no hammer valve, just a direct lever to the pilot? Surely it would be very simple to have a double action trigger mechanism that would give a predictable release point and consistent pressure every time?

Certainly possible and a path we considered, I even built some double action hammers to flesh out ideas. I think I sent you a video, feel free to post if you dig it up. At 500psi the poppet requires a 24lbs to actuate. The hammers needed to push that were getting pretty big/heavy.. Also i think it would need a "dead blow" type design built in to hold the valve open for full vent.

One of the original ideas used an unbalanced spool valve which worked great and required little force to actuate. We opted not to, because it required more machining, was more complex (more prone to problems) and easier to set off if dropped or bumped. This was designed for a small hammer to actuate. I think I sent you the photos of the first valve prototype too. Feel free to post.

Mike
Sureshot Inc. / http://www.ultimatespudgun.com
jagerbond
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:51 am

You're right about the hammer valve, we were throwing so many ideas around at the time I forgot what eventually got chosen :roll:

jagerbond wrote:I think I sent you the photos of the first valve prototype too. Feel free to post.

I was looking through the e-mails and there's tons of pictures, not sure what you want to keep private or not. I did find one of the first proposals which isn't too far from what you eventually settled for :D

Attachments
cuppiston.jpg
cuppiston.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 700 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jagerbond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:11 pm

This is the current version, below is the version with the unbalanced spool valve.

Attachments
OldPrototypeV1.jpg
Mike
Sureshot Inc. / http://www.ultimatespudgun.com
jagerbond
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:31 am

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:*cough cough* ;)

You'd need to get some extra energy to cycle it or have it a repeater rather than automated.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

Hotwired wrote:You'd need to get some extra energy to cycle it or have it a repeater rather than automated.

I doubt that chunky cartridge would cycle reliably as a semi auto, I was thinking more on the lines of a straight pull or pump action.

Since the cartridges are meant to be reused however, an MGL style revolver is a more practical idea.

Not the only option though ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion