Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fire extinguisher tank

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Ah, for some reason I had assumed the tank was unprotected steel. If it is indeed aluminum, it shouldn't need an inner coating of paint, as aluminum is quite corrosion resistant thanks to the passive oxide layer that forms on its surface.

Ragnarok wrote:The oxide coating that forms on aluminium is protective.

Basically the top few molecules oxidise (very fast, given aluminium's reactivity), but then that top layer prevents oxygen getting to the lower layers.

True, however continuous exposure to liquid water, especially an aqueous solution containing small amounts of dissolved NaCl (As would be present here, with Gunfreak living near the ocean), will eventually cause the protective layer to break down and allow corrosion to proceed further into the metal. Aluminum is often anodized to form a thicker oxide coating that will be more resistant to harsh environments.

I wouldn't worry about it though. In this application, the tank should last many years before any significant corrosion occurs.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Ok thank you guys so much for the help and the info, I will probably be long done with this tank in a few years so I'm good. Cheers :occasion5:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion