Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jackreacher, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Milsim RPG

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Milsim RPG

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 am

I want to build a RPG that uses a paintball co2 tank for power. I will be using nerf vortexes as my ammunition. Also, I would like to know how to make it semi-auto, so I can just drop in a rocket, fire, and repeat (not have to worry about opening or closing extra valves). In addition, I would like it to look somewhat close to a real rpg/bazooka/etc. so it will be accepted at milsim events (I will be painting it). I would appreciate any help!

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:19 am

Research coaxial piston valves. You should use a 4" pvc chamber and a 2" pvc barrel, with a modded sprinkler valve pilot. Use a three way valve to pilot the sprinkler and connect the 3 way valve to a regulated CO2 line. This will make it possible to pull the trigger, making the gun fire, then when you let go it the trigger, the gun will automatically fill up and all you have to do it drop a vortex into the barrel then shoot it again.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks for the info, but is it possible to do without the piston concept?

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am

Yes, but I would fear terrible performance. The only other practical thing for your situation I can think of would be just the sprinkler valve as the main valve, with the tank behind and the barrel in front, and a three way valve again. However, this would make it big and bulky, and make it hard to look realistic also. The only good thing about using a sprinkler valve as the main valve would be that you could make a breech load, but I strongly recommend a piston valve, because they are pretty easy to make and the performance we're talking here would be pretty fantastic.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:39 am

If you could reg the tank town to 400 psi or so, you could have a QEV piloted with a blowgun (or a DCV for the more sophisticated :roll:), with such a light projectile and high pressure you wouldn't need much chamber volume beyond a simple capped fitting.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I am fairly new to all of this, when you post an idea, can you show me a picture/diagram as well? Because I don't really get what you are saying in words, at least until I get all of the terms down.

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:If you could reg the tank town to 400 psi or so, you could have a QEV piloted with a blowgun (or a DCV for the more sophisticated :roll:), with such a light projectile and high pressure you wouldn't need much chamber volume beyond a simple capped fitting.
Or perhaps a medium chamber and medium pressure? :lol:
You could make a coaxial piston valve piloted by a qev, and have a hose that runs from the rear to about 3/4 of the way down the chamber, and add a 3 way valve to that and you have semi auto, but that gives you a gigantic pilot volume and really wouldnt be very good for performance.

Just a question, why does it have to look like a real anti-armor weapon? A made up launcher can look pretty realistic as this launcher.
It looks really simple to make and IMO would be fine in milsim paintball.
From what i can tell, it is just an older type sprinkler valve, pvc chamber/breech loading barrel, a paintball marker trigger, and a regged c02 tank.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

That launcher looks fine. I said "somewhat realistic" not one of those with like a 6" pressure chamber and a 2" barrel. However, I would like to model my launcher after the rap4 launcher http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/bazooka-grenade-launchers-p-4990.html, where the co2 bottle screws into the rear of the launcher. I don't want to have to have a pouch/backpack/etc. to carry the bottle separately.

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Here's what the semi-auto valve mechanism could look like using off-the-shelf parts, pretty self explanatory:

Attachments
standardpartssemi.GIF
standardpartssemi.GIF (18.04 KiB) Viewed 853 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 pm

OK, could some one give me a parts list and approximate price for the above design?

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Chosen_1 wrote:could some one give me a parts list and approximate price for the above design?

That would be spoonfeeding, and the policy on this forum is not to spoonfeed, because if you require that level of help then you probably shouldn't be messing with high pressure. Have a browse through the forums first, the search feature is brilliant if you know how to use it, and I'm confident that all the questions you might have are already answered ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:16 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Here's what the semi-auto valve mechanism could look like using off-the-shelf parts, pretty self explanatory:

Bah that setup is wasteful. Better off with a slide valve to actually shut off the air supply.

@Chosen_1: The parts are labeled in that diagram... It's just a matter of selecting their sizes and locating them. You have all you need. :lol:

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Have a look at this, while its not semi auto theres a single 1/4 ball valve you flip to refill. It looks and feels realalistic, while this one uses a piston you could use a sprinkler valve if you want. With Co2 regged down to 100 psi power should be acceptable for paintball with a 1 inch valve. Even if you decide to not use the same valve set up, the asthetics are good.

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Can someone give me a link to a how-to-assemble for the coaxial piston type? I couldn't find one in the search.

Chosen_1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Here, this one used dwv so replace it with pressure rated parts but should show you the basics of building one http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Coaxi ... ll-Cannon/

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion