Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pump Project

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:00 am

yes you would. The pumps that people build here tend to be like elongated shock pumps as they usually have the same small diameter.

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am

Alster370 wrote:yes you would. The pumps that people build here tend to be like elongated shock pumps as they usually have the same small diameter.

They can be considerably larger bored than shock pumps actually. With a shock pump you're relying on strength in your arm/back muscles. With a stirrup pump you have the mass of your entire body, so you can have a much larger bore and stroke.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 am

Well for my beto shock pump , I dont see how anyone can put ~180lb of force onto that handle with one arm to get it to 400psi. Its just not practical.
It should be at least half of the size its at (So from ~12mm to 6mm) then only ~90lb would be required to reach 400psi, which is capable by pretty much anyone.

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:27 am

I used search to find a nice example of a member built 2 stage pump.

They have a nice annimation showing how it works.

The thread is here. This is about the best resource on manual 2 stage pumps on Spudfiles. I think someone should take that information and make a Wiki page from it.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pressure-pump-t18170.html

From the piston diameters given the first stage has about 5X the displacement of the second stage.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks for the link, the pumps great and just what I was looking for. If I wanted a 3 stage pump using this design, could you just add a third chamber with a smaller diameter that is connected to the 2nd?(And the check valve would be at the bottom of the third chamber)

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sat May 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes. Then you would compress the first and third stages on the down push, and the second on the "up". Keep in mind that this will require quite a lot of force.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Alster: Doesn't matter.- That was to something on the last page. Fail. Yes, you could have a three-stage pump. That's how some PCP pumps are designed.

wyz: Correct.

Last edited by saefroch on Sun May 29, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saefroch
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: wyz2285 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:31 am

saefroch wrote:wyz: Correct.

Yeah :D

wyz2285
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sun May 29, 2011 8:56 pm

The same pressure would require the same force on the handle, but the you would get more air out because of the longer stroke. The pump would be more efficient because it would have a higher compression ratio as long as your dead volume remained the same.

You could get to a higher pressure with the longer pump before you started just compressing air into the dead volume, but it would require more force on the handle.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion