Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

how do i make a piston valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
how do i make a piston valve

Unread postAuthor: qwert123 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:13 pm

what is a good way to make a .75" to a 1" piston valve. it needs to be noob friendly a i don't want to have to modify plumbing parts :)
im too lazy to search

qwert123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Be sure you understand this first. Most piston valves are built in a tee, with a bushing or nipple as surface the piston seals to. The piston then slides back into the tee or an attached pipe.

Spud Bux are mostly used to buy signatures and titles. They have no use or significance outside the forum.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Re: piston valve

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:42 pm

qwert123 wrote:what is a good way to make a .75" to a 1" piston valve. it needs to be noob friendly a i don't want to have to modify plumbing parts :)

You mean a 1" piston with .75" porting?

Well you generally need a seat (what the piston seals against), a piston (the moving part of the valve), a chamber (to store the air pressure) and a pilot valve (to actuate the piston). You should've figure that out by yourself. As for making the piston, since you gave us no clue to as what materials you are using we cannot give you any ideas for what to make the piston from. We need specifics, for example 1" Sch40 NSF-PW PVC.

Pistons can be made from anything. Go to your garage, kitchen or the hardware store and just walk around with a bit of pipe to see what fits in it. If you find something that fits really well and is a suitable material for a piston, use it. It is difficult to use the exact same piston as another member has used since the diameters vary quite significantly depending on the exact pipe used etc.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

saefroch wrote:Be sure you understand Most piston valves are built in a tee

that not always true, many people build coaxial valves where the barrelextends into the chamber. I suggest you cast a epoxy piton around a rubber stopper. JSR has a great tutorial. The best thing I can recommend is that you read through the showcase and use spudwiki. MRR has a tutorial on youtube for a 3/4 valve I believe.

clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Uhh...
it needs to be noob friendly a i don't want to have to modify plumbing parts

I can almost gaurantee you will need to modify something to make a piston valve. To keep it simple and cheap, I recommend reading up on coaxial piston valves. 1.25 chamber and 1/2" barrel is a good choice. This gives you the option of little modification and using 3/4" parts for the chamber. Look through the showcase and the wiki and whatnot, and I cannot stress this enough, but you can never do too much research before you dive into the wonderful world of pison valves :)
Don't just jump right into it, take your time, and don't make it ghetto. Use the right parts, good craftsmanship and good quality and you will be happy with the end result.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Somebody other than saefroch wrote:Be sure you understand Most piston valves are built in a tee
See my actual post.

Usually tee piston valves are easier to construct, as they only require putting a few fittings together with a piston inside.

Gun Freak wrote:Don't just jump right into it, take your time, and don't make it ghetto. Use the right parts, good craftsmanship and good quality and you will be happy with the end result.

Agreed, do it right the first time. Don't try to just put a few things together and get something to work. My first piston valve was incredibly ghetto and cost me a lot of money in home repairs when it blew apart.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 am

MrCrowley wrote:just walk around with a bit of pipe to see what fits in it.

That is almost the very definition of being male :D

qwer123 wrote:im too lazy to search

Given that deplorable statement I'm surprised so many members offered their advice. Just buy a 3/4" QEV, it'll most likely be miles ahead anything you manage to bodge together and will avoid a lot of heartache in the long run.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 am

If you are too lazy to search, you probably will have problems with a home made piston valve.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Given that deplorable statement I'm surprised so many members offered their advice. Just buy a 3/4" QEV, it'll most likely be miles ahead anything you manage to bodge together and will avoid a lot of heartache in the long run.

That pretty much somes it up. If you're not willing to put any work into this, it will be a nightmare. Save yourself the searching and buy a QEV :roll:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion