Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1,000psi pilot valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 am

It would be difficult to notice in practical applications, and the nitrogen filling for tires is essentially a scam with a flimsy scientific backing to charge people who don't know what nitrogen is $10/fill.

Info on that from the scientific community is here;

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nitrogen-filled-tires-fuel-efficiency

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Well I guess it was a bit of "dirt" more likely teflon tape :roll: stuck in the seal. I let it soak for a while in hot soapy water, then rinsed thoroughly. Leak gone. Thanks Tech!

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

It worked fine after cleaning for one use at low pressure (~500psi), now it's leaking again. It may be that there's a bit of teflon tape interrupting the seal again, but I dearly hope not. Going to do the same cleaning procedure again tonight, then check it tommorrow and see if the leak is back, and if in the same location. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate another attempt by all at a diagnosis, but now with better info:

In case it's difficult to see, the thing that looks like a blob of snot is a lot of little bubbles forming at once, showing the location of the leak.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Well now this is a triple post... but I guess there's reason for that. Anyways... I cleaned out the ball valve with hot soapy water then rinsed it very well. I greased the seal, and tested it (to avoid that being a variable). It sealed again. Then I opened it and vented the small volume of 1,000psi air I used to pressure-test, then checked it again. The leak was bigger. I'm currently in the process of cleaning it again. Also not the the leak is occurring in the last portion of the port to seal. The valve closes in the picture from right to left.

So here's my understanding of the situation: Blasting a lot of air past the seal has somehow eroded or pushed it out of its groove far enough that it does not seal anymore, until it is hydrated, in which case it deforms or softens and settles back such that it seals again. Until I blast air past it...

EDIT: Some more extensive testing has shown interesting results. Small leak on first pressure cycle (pressurizing from atmospheric to 1,000psi), no leak at all on the second cycle, a slightly larger leak on the third cycle, and when the valve was opened (I used the other ball valve to vent the system so as to avoid the air blast being a cause), it released a small blast of air, presumably trapped inside the "ball." On the fourth cycle the leak was much more significant, probably because I opened the valve previously.

Is there any way I can fix this? I know I can unscrew one side off it, but I'm not sure what that'd let me do.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion