Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sprinkler valve not sealing properly

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Sprinkler valve not sealing properly

Unread postAuthor: ppoppers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey y'all,

I have built pneumatic spud guns in the past, using this same set up, with no problems. But now I have 4 completed spud (well, t-shirt, actually) guns in my shop and none of their modded sprinkler valves are sealing properly.

When I am filling their tanks, I hear the sound of air whooshing (?) through a small opening, where the valve is not sealing all the way. It definitely is not the 'valve wide open' noise. However, when I open up the hole in the diaphram, that is normally used to bleed air out of the sprinker lines, the tank pressurizes fine. But when I try to fire, the cannon does not fire, all the air just leaks out the bleed hole, slowly.

Can you think of any reasons why my valve would not be sealing, when the port to bleed air out is sealed up?

I am using 1", Orbit watermaster, with the standard blow gun mod.

ppoppers
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Is it a jar top (chamber seal) or a normal (barrel seal) ? Pictures of the setup always help too :wink:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Is there a manual override? Sometimes those can accidentally get flipped open.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: motorfixer1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm

First, welcome to spudfiles
However, when I open up the hole in the diaphram, that is normally used to bleed air out of the sprinker lines, the tank pressurizes fine.

When you say hole in the diaphram do you mean the manual pilot valve? Usually a screw type plastic knob that allows the user to let a small of water pass through the valve without actuating it fully. Sounds like this manual pilot valve is not seating or there is debris on the diaphram seat. Pics would certianly aid the situation. Hope this helps.

motorfixer1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion