Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

valves on compressors and extinguishers

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
valves on compressors and extinguishers

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 am

so, i now have some unused fire extinguishers available to me and also a few old air compressors to butcher for parts. So my first question is about using a fire extinguisher safely.

on the side of one for example its says that it has a working pressure of 690kpa and periodic test pressure of 2.5mpa, so does this mean i could pressurize it up to 2.5mpa (361psi) safely or should i stick to the working pressure? Also would be ok to weld a fitting in the top or do i need to find out the correct thrad size and adapt it to the size i want to use?

Next is the compressors, anything useful i should hunt for in the form of 3-way valves or dump valves?

cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 am

Stick to the working pressure. The test pressure is done in an explosion proof container for testing or other safe test environment.

http://www.compressed-air-cylinders.com/hydrostatic-pressure-testing.html

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: motorfixer1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:31 am

I would not weld on the valve without complete disassembly, not to mention you might comprimise the strength of the valve material. Probably not a good idea overall. What size threads does it have?

motorfixer1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion