Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

3" Tee Piston Valve Questions

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 pm

you can make a wood piston, but you will need to seal the wood with vanish or polyurethane to stop it from swelling, also try cut out as much weight as possible. lighter pistons are faster pistons and it will make your gun more poweful. A good eq hole desing iv seen is a hole straight behind the sealing face then it will flap open and let air passed but not back.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

p

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am

tony48 wrote:One thing I don't understand is if a ball valve is used to vent the pilot, what stops the tank air from rushing out of the back valve? Is the piston supposed to seal off the back half of the tee when it opens?

If the piston does not open, then yes, the air can slowly hiss for a long time out past the piston. This is why a Small EQ port is used. Some goes past the piston, but takes the piston with it in the flow. Say your piston has leakage = an 1/8th inch pipe.
The hiss will last for just a few ms. After the piston has moved, most of the rest of the air goes out the 2 inch barrel instead. A good design will lose less than 0.1% of the chamber charge out the pilot.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: tony48 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Ok I think I'll try to make a piston out of a solid piece of wood because it is easiest for me. I'll work on finding some o-rings and getting the piston turned. Where's a good place to look for these large o-rings?

If life gives you lemons, put them in your cannon and shoot them back at life!
tony48
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: tony48 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:23 pm

I have been working on the plan for this piston for a couple weeks and was wondering if a 3" coupler is necessary to give me enough room behind the piston. I've been looking at alot of other guns and noticed that most have a coupler behind the piston tee for extra room. Is this necessary on a 3" piston? It doesn't seem like it would be but I'd like advice

If life gives you lemons, put them in your cannon and shoot them back at life!
tony48
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion