Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

i wanna do a new gun

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
i wanna do a new gun

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 pm

hey guys,
i wrote this yesterday amd well i think it got lost in the internet because i dont seem to find it .. so here ill go at it again

anyway i wanna do a galavnised steel chamber, but my question is how much can galavnized steel hold in PSI?

i already have a pvc gun witha moded sprinkler valve and would like opinions on a beter way that i can put on my new gun, i live in ecuador and cant buy thing of ebay :( ..but if theres a way to do DIY kainda think i would be glad to do so.

as for preasure im planing on puting more than 100psi or whatever the steel holds safetly...

o and one last question i saw this type of valve
i dont know what it is, but seems like i can do it, and would it work well?

thanks guys

bluemouse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm

That would be a coaxial piston valve. It's a homemade valve, with the blowgun acting as the pilot valve. Definitely doable.

Steel can hold a large amount of pressure, but that depends on the diameter of the pipe. For a small launcher (like shown above, but in galvanized steel) I would feel comfortable filling to unregged CO<sub>2</sub> pressures (800-1200 PSIG), although any piston valve you make would have troubles sealing and operating at those pressures (unless strict quality and strength guidelines are followed).

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

mark.f wrote:That would be a coaxial piston valve. It's a homemade valve, with the blowgun acting as the pilot valve. Definitely doable.

Steel can hold a large amount of pressure, but that depends on the diameter of the pipe. For a small launcher (like shown above, but in galvanized steel) I would feel comfortable filling to unregged CO<sub>2</sub> pressures (800-1200 PSIG), although any piston valve you make would have troubles sealing and operating at those pressures (unless strict quality and strength guidelines are followed).

alrite thanks for the heads up!
so what would you recomend,im planing also on a small, maybe 1/2 up to 1 1/2 "" i havent decided yet...and my other thought whas a ball valve but im not sure, dont fell all that good and acuraci goes down alot ...

thanks again!

bluemouse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

If your pilot volume is small enough, a blowgun is the best for accuracy. You can modify them to get better flow too.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:54 am

Gun Freak wrote:If your pilot volume is small enough, a blowgun is the best for accuracy. You can modify them to get better flow too.

i dint get what you just said..

i dont wan something small, i want something strong , thats why i want to make it from metal...
really i would love any sugestions

bluemouse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: bobgengeskahn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I believe what Gun Freak was talking about was a blow gun to act as a pilot valve (since that is a very common application for them). Case in point, the picture that you posted uses a blow gun to pilot the valve in that set up as well....

Edit:
The reason Gun Freak brought it up is because you mentionted accuracy, and the reason that using a blow gun as a pilot increases accuracy is because it is a factory made part that you can get and then modify to have a very high flow, thus venting your pilot volume quickly and consistantly every time.

bobgengeskahn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 pm

bobgengeskahn wrote:I believe what Gun Freak was talking about was a blow gun to act as a pilot valve (since that is a very common application for them). Case in point, the picture that you posted uses a blow gun to pilot the valve in that set up as well....

Edit:
The reason Gun Freak brought it up is because you mentionted accuracy, and the reason that using a blow gun as a pilot increases accuracy is because it is a factory made part that you can get and then modify to have a very high flow, thus venting your pilot volume quickly and consistantly every time.

um ok yeah , now this seems more logic,
i just see one problem with this , i live in Ecuador and well ...spudguns are not big hit here yet.... i almost didint get the sprinker valve, most perople dont even now what this is...

so what other valve mechanisism would you think its good,
again metal chamber amybe 1 or 1 -1/2 "" ???

bluemouse
Private
Private

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:57 pm

make sure its not loaded when you start doing it :D

you might want to read this you need the 3rd one, but its good to know them all.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 pm

A blowgun will NOT hold unregulated CO2 pressures safely.

Any mistake, weak part , crossthreaded joint,whatever may result in very serious injury or even death with those kinds of pressures.

Do not think of this lightly, please.

Build your way up a bit slower...
Power does not come from pressure alone.

If you were to build a 1-1/2" steel cannon, wich holds 900psi or around 55 bar...the power might be a little ( understatement) bit more than you'd expect..

Don't get me wrong, I have made unregulated CO2 guns before.
I was told that I was insane when I asked the same question almost 6 years ago...

If you really want to go for it, post pictures here so the more experienced members can check your work.
Once the gun is finished you can hydrotest it to be sure it can hold the pressure safely.
Then, when shooting time comes, start with lower pressure shots and build your way up gradually.

This will prevent you from hurting the neighbours because the wall just didn't stop your projectile. like you would have expected..and you'll keep your teeth...cause you know what kind of kick to expect..

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Brian the brain wrote:A blowgun will NOT hold unregulated CO2 pressures safely.

Any mistake, weak part , crossthreaded joint,whatever may result in very serious injury or even death with those kinds of pressures.

Do not think of this lightly, please.

Build your way up a bit slower...
Power does not come from pressure alone.

If you were to build a 1-1/2" steel cannon, wich holds 900psi or around 55 bar...the power might be a little ( understatement) bit more than you'd expect..

Don't get me wrong, I have made unregulated CO2 guns before.
I was told that I was insane when I asked the same question almost 6 years ago...

If you really want to go for it, post pictures here so the more experienced members can check your work.
Once the gun is finished you can hydrotest it to be sure it can hold the pressure safely.
Then, when shooting time comes, start with lower pressure shots and build your way up gradually.

This will prevent you from hurting the neighbours because the wall just didn't stop your projectile. like you would have expected..and you'll keep your teeth...cause you know what kind of kick to expect..

thanks for your reply..
actually im planing on plain air, maybe buying a compresor of 1hp,

and i was also planing in doing a "test" chamber...dump it in a pool , load as much air as the comprensor can an well see if it fails at what presure...

and im never tought of useing a blowgun, i was thinking more of more pipe for the barrel , since i can screw or weld it on..

so the valve what should i use ball valve, since im not getting sugestions on other types..maybe a coaxial?? im not usre how to do it

bluemouse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 pm

look at the link in my other post to find out how a colax works

brian was saying don't use a blow gun as the pilot valve on a colax at 800psi. also if your getting a 1hp shop air compressor that will not get passed 125 psi.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bluemouse » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:32 am

i saw those animatios on how they work...
but can you give me SUGESTIONS ...its like the fifth time i asked for them haha

and well in mater for compresors what should i use a fridge compresor?

bluemouse
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion