Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston getting pulled apart, need advice

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: FighterAce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 am

Schraders have a cracking pressure of around 70 psi... at higher pressure who knows where that number might go... but all in all I'm sure I already beat that with a custom made check valve.

I'm trying to move away from schraders and other "sensitive" components anyways because of so many failures I get during testing. Especially rubber parts that have to keep their shape in order to work properly.
If the schrader core closes at an angle it could actually miss the rubber seal and could cut the rubber. I've had that happen numerous times on my M4 while connecting and disconnecting the pump attachment... which is a very slow process btw. And I really don't like the fact that it takes longer to connect/disconnect the pump than it takes to actually pump. I can't find schraders with 1/4NPT threads anyways... I have to build a piece to hold a TR525MS.
My most recent incident included that valve... the TR525MS. The threaded part actually broke off under no lateral movement, just rotation. It was stuck to the rest of the valve via the core but even worse - the threaded part remained in the pump attachment and rendered it useless because theres no way to get it out. nuff said :roll:

“The combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless.
The steadiness of hand, the acuity of vision and finally
the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the
body all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine.”
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion