Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mark.f, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Couple beginner questions I can't find...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: erager09 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:14 pm

jor2daje wrote:I'm not sure how many times this is gone over but sch40 isn't a pressure rating it's refers to the thickness of the pipes walls.

I've seen the same type of stuff misconceptions come up on my car forums but I was on here an hour or two looking through stuff and never came across there being diff types of schedule 40. Guess I just didn't come across the right link

erager09
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat May 21, 2011 6:39 pm

What he means is that a pipe can be schedule 40 and not be pressure rated. The pressure rating is indicated by NSF-PW, then a number, and that number is the pressure rating. Keep in mind, however, that this number represents water pressure, as PVC is not designated for use in air pressure.

HOWEVER, if you've used Sch40 DWV (that this has not been designated a pressure) for a spray-n-pray, then you should be fine. It's similar to using ABS pipe, and that has been proven time and time again to function correctly.

The pressure rated pipe is geared more towards pneumatic launchers because a pneumatic launcher must sustain the pressure for longer periods of time than a combustion launcher does.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: erager09 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Ok so I bought the right stuff this time (only place in town sold 4" pvc solid core in 10ft sections but multiple friends have bought the extra already.

Gun I made is 2' x 4" combustion chamber with 5' x 2" barrel. Added the grill ignitor to the end cap but bought parts today to relocate to the side. About 5 seconds of spray seems to be the sweet spot and its probably hitting 175-200yds. Its into deep woods so I'm completely guessing. Were gonna take it out to a friends and fire 4 or 5 and pace it out to see what the actual distance is.

My reason for my reply is this...I am going to cut the combustion chamber and insert a coupler with a 1 1/2" "wye adaptor". Its basically like a small offshoot so the ignitor will be on the side. I'm afraid if someone drops the gun its gonna snap the ignitor. I looked everywhere and can't find any stores that list whether these adaptors are solid/cell core. I compared them to the solid core pipe and the ends look the same, cell core looks and feels different.

I didn't listen to the Lowes guy this time. By the way, the gun sounds like a cannon going off (ringing in your ears if you get a real good seal on the spud).

erager09
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

just remember, spudguns are not toys, they should be treated like a weapon and therefore should never be pointed at people, or treated with any bit of recklessness. It will result in either you being arrested or seriously injured.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself with your spudgun and remember, potatoes are not the only thing you can fire.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: erager09 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah I've grown up around guns my whole life. We definitely consider it a weapon. It stays in the garage and the ignitor is up on a ledge. We have alot of friends with younger kids and if they want to try it we hold the gun and they just hit the little red button.

My next project will be with hpa paintball tanks but I'm gonna have to do more research.

erager09
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion