Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

aluminium prechanged pneumatic progress

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
aluminium prechanged pneumatic progress

Unread postAuthor: urgle the danish cow » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

so im obviously not any where near done with this but i will not be able to work on it over summer and will have to wait until fall.
total work hours: 29
ive had a couple of problems lately i was bringing the barrel down to fit in my .421875 inch hole and i was dry fitting it. well was looking like it was going to fit so i used scotch-brite on it to help fit at about 1200 rpm. BAD IDEA. the hardend steel barrel got very hot and when i inserted it into the action block the steel cooled down and fused to the aluminum. so after hours of working i built a poker and put it in a hydraulic press and had to put on about 1550 pounds of force to slide it out. turns out the barrel was at .4320 when it was out.
building the trigger was hard and was done with a hacksaw and wheel grinder.
the aluminum spring plug is held in with allen screws and the barre is held in with two cup tipped allen screws which really hold it in place.
the bolt needs to be redone bc its damaged and i want it to be aluminum.
this is .22 caliber with a 24 inch rifled crosman barrel. this is in fact based off of sir Howard Buckley's modern stock reservoir airgun and for his own rights i will not provide blueprints sorry.
now for pics sorry the trigger pics will not load for they are over the KB limit :x

Attachments
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
breech
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
round thing is the spring plug and guide
IMG_0354.JPG
barrel screws. the ugly spot is from braking a tap and then grinding it down
IMG_0355.JPG
spring guide and plug. will probalby be shortend
IMG_0366.JPG
attempt of showing riflings
urgle the danish cow
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: LovableAirGuns » Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 pm

WOW good job man cant wait for the gun to be finisherd an also the rifling looks really cool :D

LovableAirGuns
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: aluminium prechanged pneumatic progress

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sat May 21, 2011 12:29 am

urgle the danish cow wrote:... i was bringing the barrel down to fit in my .421875 inch hole

Have a pic of the tool you used to measure to that degree? :)

The buckley rifle looks like a nice little project.... I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat May 21, 2011 12:42 am

Gippeto wrote:
urgle the danish cow wrote:... i was bringing the barrel down to fit in my .421875 inch hole

The buckley rifle looks like a nice little project.... I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

I'll buy it.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 am

inonickname wrote:
Gippeto wrote:

I'll buy it.

Yeah, blame the guy just because he converted from a true system of measurements into your outdated/retarded imperial system

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat May 21, 2011 6:31 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:
inonickname wrote:
Gippeto wrote:

I'll buy it.

Yeah, blame the guy just because he converted from a true system of measurements into your outdated/retarded imperial system

God no I don't use that crap. Imperial should only be used to measure someone's height and the length of certain bodily parts.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Sat May 21, 2011 10:39 am

urgle the danish cow wrote:.421875 inch hole ...
barrel was at .4320

How did you insert the barrel into the hole in the first place?? The barrel is .011" larger than the hole!

velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

If you want to measure down to a few nm, may I recommend one of these?

http://www.nist.gov/mml/metallurgy/mml-microscopy-facility-scopes.cfm

As far as inserting it in the hole in the first place, the hole changes size with temperature.
http://sites.google.com/site/sed695b/projects/demonstration-equipment/expanding-ball--ring--thermal-expansion
It was fit inside while still hot from the polishing, then it cooled.

In large ships and boats the tiller arm is installed onto the rudder post this way. The tiller arm has a hole too small for the post. It is expanded with heat and fitted onto the post and then cooled. This fit prevents the arm from working loose on the post in use. Sometimes the top of the post even needs cooled with liquid nitrogen or dry ice before the tiller arm will fit on the post.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Sat May 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Technician1002 wrote:As far as inserting it in the hole in the first place, the hole changes size with temperature.

Tech, Thanks for attempting to enlighten me but respectfully......no.

urgle said:
i was bringing the barrel down to fit in my .421875 inch hole and i was dry fitting it. well was looking like it was going to fit so i used scotch-brite on it to help fit at about 1200 rpm. BAD IDEA. the hardend steel barrel got very hot and when i inserted it into the action block the steel cooled down and fused to the aluminum. so after hours of working i built a poker and put it in a hydraulic press and had to put on about 1550 pounds of force to slide it out. turns out the barrel was at .4320 when it was out.

"the hardend steel barrel got very hot"...ergo the barrel expanded. The barrel expanded (not the bore).

"turns out the barrel was at .4320 when it was out."...Obviously in a cool(er), contracted state.

According to urgle's measurements....In the cool(er),contracted state, the barrel was 0.010" larger than the bore in which it was to fit. I'm sure with your machining experience, you realize that a press-fit of only 0.0005" is quite tight and requires the force of a press.

My guess is that the dry fit into the aluminum bore caused the bore to gall, making removal difficult at best. I think the measurements are wrong. IMO, to press in a barrel of + 0.010" isn't going to happen without a fully grown+++ press and Superman at the controls!

velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: urgle the danish cow » Tue May 24, 2011 3:57 pm

velocity3x wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:As far as inserting it in the hole in the first place, the hole changes size with temperature.

Tech, Thanks for attempting to enlighten me but respectfully......no.

urgle said:
i was bringing the barrel down to fit in my .421875 inch hole and i was dry fitting it. well was looking like it was going to fit so i used scotch-brite on it to help fit at about 1200 rpm. BAD IDEA. the hardend steel barrel got very hot and when i inserted it into the action block the steel cooled down and fused to the aluminum. so after hours of working i built a poker and put it in a hydraulic press and had to put on about 1550 pounds of force to slide it out. turns out the barrel was at .4320 when it was out.

"the hardend steel barrel got very hot"...ergo the barrel expanded. The barrel expanded (not the bore).

"turns out the barrel was at .4320 when it was out."...Obviously in a cool(er), contracted state.

According to urgle's measurements....In the cool(er),contracted state, the barrel was 0.010" larger than the bore in which it was to fit. I'm sure with your machining experience, you realize that a press-fit of only 0.0005" is quite tight and requires the force of a press.

My guess is that the dry fit into the aluminum bore caused the bore to gall, making removal difficult at best. I think the measurements are wrong. IMO, to press in a barrel of + 0.010" isn't going to happen without a fully grown+++ press and Superman at the controls!

you are dead on with how it got in the barrel. i used a hydraulic press as i stated to get it out

urgle the danish cow
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: urgle the danish cow » Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Gippeto wrote:

you may also call it 27/64 :wink:

urgle the danish cow
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Sig Figs :D

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion