Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Designing A Pneumatic

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Designing A Pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: Slayergem » Mon May 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Good day mates!
In my many attempts of downloading the GGDT pneumatic simulator I came up empty, not tutorials nor how to's can help my unavoidable nature with computers.
If someone or several people by any chance would be able to do some calculations on GGDT i would be delighted.

The measurements are as follows.
A 24 inch long chamber made from 1.5 inch sch 40 PVC.
A 1 inch Sprinkler valve triggered electronically(only for now, mod's come later).
A barrel x inches long made from .5 inch sch 40 PVC.

The chamber of course has an end cap on one end. Which is where i will place the pressure gauge into to, the other end of the chamber leads into a 1.5 inch coupler which is fitted with a step down to 1 inch pipe. I will cut only enough 1 inch pipe to fit into the step down and into the threaded step which will go into the sprinkler valve. Coming out of the sprinkler valve is immediately a screw in which goes down to .5 inch pipe which will be my barrel. I hope you guys have made it this far!
It is only a very small portable cannon, yes, it is linear.
If someone could figure out the best barrel length if pumped to 100 psi that would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good one!

Slayergem
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Make sure your downloading it as admin. That's the only issue I can think of you having.

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Mon May 23, 2011 7:30 pm

The answer that you're looking for does not exist, rather it is simply this: As long as you can make it. Your barrel would have to be inanely long to actually hamper performance.

Mac or PC?

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Ideal would vary depending on your projectile mass. Are you planning on shooting mini marshmallows, AA batteries, or paintballs?

Due to the flow restriction of a 1/2 inch barrel simply planning on a C/B ratio is not the best solution. Normally a barrel with about 2X the chamber volume will do well, but at smaller diameters this does not scale. You have excessive chamber for that diameter barrel. Start with about 3-5 feet for most projectiles.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Slayergem » Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Im planning on shooting Medium weight projectiles, this ranges from tree cherries to nails with paper funnels to fit the barrel diameter. But marbles are also a possibility.

Im on a PC, it has an error i have seen thorugh alot of questions, its the component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:a file is missing or invalid

Im using WinRaR too to extract all the folder contains into one seperate folder.

In any case thankyou guys for the help.

Slayergem
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:18 pm

That happened to me, try as an admin, that fixed it for me.

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 am

Running as an admin typically works for that issue. Note that if you're using Vista for some reason, you may need to disable UAC completely.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion