Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fridge compressor problems!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am

For over 200 PSI, your fastest rate will be 2 stage. Use 3 in parallel feeding into the 4th which boosts the pressure.

High voltage discharge? I don't think so. I am not trying to say I know more than you, but I read in both a manual and online, plus heard from an ac repair tech, that capacitors are used for kick starting compressors. They are used to keep them from over working them selves and burning up faster.

This is indeed correct. The capacitor on a motor is to cause a phase shift. Single phase power on an electromagnet can only produce a push pull force. With a round rotor, this creates no rotary torque in a motor. A phase shift must be introduced by either a shaded pole (common in small low starting torque motors) or and electrical phase shift is introduced with a start cap with the start winding for a much higher starting torque.

A smaller lower current run cap is often used for motors such as fans that is used for both starting and running.

When using 3 phase power, the 3 windings provide the required rotary torque so no starting cap is required.

The cap is not for a capacitive discharge kick.
There is a great Wikipedia article on the subject for those who wish to increase their knowledge of the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion