Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

m72 build log

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 am

Actually in a lot of fields it is common place to allow pneumatic cannons. Combustion's are almost always not allowed. When bringing your pneumatic cannon to the field, you have to get it approved by the field owner typically. I have never had a problem with getting any launcher accepted because I let them know of the pressures being used, the safety precautions, and the pressure rating/safety factor of the materials being used as well as how I constructed it (proper gluing procedures.)

The cannon is used against vehicles, most of the fields that actually have vehicles also know that launchers are a common place. With that said, a lot of the times when they use vehicles, they ask if anyone has any launchers to take it out. When someone answers yes, they meet with the field owner, they showcase the launcher, and proper instruction is shown to make sure they only fire the thing at vehicles and if they have an option to shoot at personnel , it must be an approved ammo for personnel. (nerf ballistic balls are common) Nerf ballistic balls are like wiffle-balls, even fired at high pressures, as soon as they hit the air, they lose all their momentum (weight like .5 oz and are solid foam 40mm in size). The downside with having to use a projectile like this against personnel is that the accuracy is not typically there.

So to recap most fields in Wisconsin allow custom pneumatic cannons, but proper procedures must take place. Now this may only be in fields in Wisconsin as I have not played out of Wisconsin. Wisconsin does have the WAA Wisconsin Airsoft Association which helps all of the players and fields to be linked together in some way. So most fields have the same rules typically.

http://www.wiairsoft.com/index.htm

My only concern is in I.E.D Mode. It shoots flour in IED mode, an optional burst disk attachment will be an option for IED mode as to basically just make a noise. Considering I now know most of the major field owners and am a co-organizer of a field here, I am not worried about it too much.

Btw at multiple events, I also serve as the weapons ordinance inspector. (make sure pipe is pressure rated, make sure safety measurements are taken into place, if using co2 with pvc, make sure that it has a relief valve to not over pressurize.) Also to make sure that they feed in the co2 slowly and in bursts to make sure not to quick freeze the pvc. Most of the time, the chamber is in courage to be made out of metal for this very reason as pvc can become brittle at cold temperatures.

As an active member on spudfiles, I consider it my duty to administer safety concerns with any launcher that is used on an airsoft field that I play at. If I notice something the field organizer does not noticed, then I bring it to their attention.

Last edited by Davidvaini on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: warhead052 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 am

Ok. Well I wish there were fields like that here in Alabama. Oh well. Back yard skirmishes are ok, except my mortar is too over powered for it. Back to basics I guess.

warhead052
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:31 am

warhead052 wrote:Ok. Well I wish there were fields like that here in Alabama. Oh well. Back yard skirmishes are ok, except my mortar is too over powered for it. Back to basics I guess.

Do you ever to go an actual field where they have safety waivers, a staff an an actual dedicated field?

Or do you typically do backyard airsoft on someones land?

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Update: here are some pics of the body after the installation of the sprinkler valve, but when I woke up this morning, one of the two wires that comes from the solenoid popped out. I am looking at the solenoid and I dont see a way to take it apart and I doubt I could fix the wiring cause it looks like it receded into the body of the solenoid. So I'll just have to get a replacement solenoid which is fine, I was thinking about picking up another sprinkler valve anyway.

I made the launcher around the idea of modularity, so I can take each individual part off of the launcher, so I can remove the solenoid, the sprinkler valve, the air chamber, the barrel, and even the electronic control unit. So when issues like this are involved, I am not worried.

Here are some pictures, The current chamber is PVC, but I will have a secondary metal air chamber as side precaution in-case I go to a field that I have never been to.

My air chamber is still not finished as I have to make it the right length, and install the cap/fill valve, and the relief valve.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion