Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Second Pnuematic Launcher

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Second Pnuematic Launcher

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:24 am

This isn't my first attempt at a pneumatic launcher but my first one was only half as powerful. The chamber is 24'' long 1.5'' schedule 40 PVC, the barrel is 1/2'' schedule 80 sold as 48'' risers for spigots at Lowe's, and a quick disconnect in a pressure rated cap on the end. The valve is a lawn genie with flow control. I removed the flow control knob and used the hole left as my pilot vent. I typically run this gun around 80-90 psi but I have made frequent shots up to 100psi. I used GGDT to get a good estimate on power. It says that, with a marble, I'm shooting upwards of 747fps. Any feedback?

Attachments
IMG_0268(2).JPG
This is it!
IMG_0268(2).JPG (27.19 KiB) Viewed 792 times
GGDT of marble launch.JPG
GGDT is so convenient!
Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:38 am

Did you calculate the dead volume in your pneumatic?

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:48 am

Alster370 wrote:Did you calculate the dead volume in your pneumatic?

Dead volume and valve characteristics seem GGDT default so the result isn't as accurate as it could be.

Had a play myself, still a good result ;)

Attachments
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (33.7 KiB) Viewed 775 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 am

I did the best measurements that I could. I'm not 100% certain but that actually seems about correct. The valve is a 1'' Lawn Genie. It was the only one I could get. If anyone knows the actual specs of this valve it would help greatly.

Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Dead volume and valve characteristics seem GGDT default so the result isn't as accurate as it could be.

Had a play myself, still a good result ;)

I actually went and did some measuring and the default dead volume seems to be accurate so i left it. the flow coefficient was in percent on my go. I went on the low end at 30% which I got from searching the forums. I actually used my camera as a makeshift chronograph by counting frames at 60 frames/sec. I calculated the projectile speed with the precise distance at 24'. I calculated between 750 and 800 fps to leave some room for error. It happened to be just over 3 and a half frames. I had to play with it a little to get reasonable results.

Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 am

I just noticed you had originally modelled it on a piston valve, which would explain the unusually high results. The gun itself is very good, clean too. A piston valve could be your next upgrade. You will definitely notice an improvement in performance.

dead space is the air volume between the valve and the projectile, correct?

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:05 am

Alster370 wrote:I just noticed you had originally modelled it on a piston valve, which would explain the unusually high results. The gun itself is very good, clean too. A piston valve could be your next upgrade. You will definitely notice an improvement in performance.

dead space is the air volume between the valve and the projectile, correct?

I believe that is what the dead space is.

Isn't a sprinkler valve a very inefficient chamber sealing piston valve? Of course, it's technically a diaphragm valve. However, it should be that great a difference, right? I'm still trying to figure a few things out. :?:

My next upgrade is definitely a piston valve! :D

Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:09 am

Sort of, but you still model them as a generic type valve in GGDT. A piston valve will make a big difference in power due to the increased flow and speed at which the air is released.

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Action shots! :D No distinguishable damage shots YET. I still need to find suitable targets.

Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:48 am

I recently went to the GGDT page and found the specs that are supposed to closely resemble the 1'' sprinkler valve. I input these and got the same result as previously BEFORE I found these specs. Also, this IS with a very light glass marble as ammo. I recalculated the shot with a AA battery at 302fps which seems VERY accurate. I can watch the battery in flight across my backyard(it's a very large yard)

Attachments
corrected GGDT of marble launch(no diff).JPG
This is with adjusted specifications compared with the original ones I had in old tests.
Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion