Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sealing face issues

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:57 pm

That is a great way to look for proper fit. It is the say I sanded the pistons for the Mouse Musket. In the photo below, you can see some remains of one of the lines I drew on the side of the piston as it was lapped down to fit the breech. The piston was without an o ring so it depended on a very close fit to seal properly. As Gippeto mentioned, this works for the piston face too.

Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 am

I fixed it. I did the water test and found that I had a full diameter leak. I sanded the end of the barrel on sand paper on plywood for about ten minutes. I used 860 grit to smooth it then polished it with 1500. It's a perfect seal. I also increased the travel of my piston to compensate for a somewhat loose sealing face. The rubber I used is hose splicing tape and it is absolutely leak free. Thanks for the help.

Unread postAuthor: jhalek90 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 am

in the future, and excellent way to get a seal on a "Almost" true sealing face, it to place a felt disk or 2 behind your sealing face, so it has a little give. This has never failed me when a have a piston that almost seals.

Glad you got it working though! Congrats!

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I wonder... if you put flammable vapours inside a lady... could you get her to diesel?

POLAND_SPUD wrote:Anything is possible with the proper 3-way valve.
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion