Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Blunderbuss Airgun

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Blunderbuss Airgun

Unread postAuthor: DerpWithAGun » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 am

Okay guys, first of all don't scold me for not having any pictures. This is just an idea and I want people to offer advice and opinions. (when I'm finished making I'll upload of course.)

I want to build an air cannon that takes the form of a double barrel blunderbuss. It will have a muzzle and all those cool features a normal one would have.

The barrel would be either 30mm or 40mm and it will be double barrel.
It will have one giant ball valve that will fire both barrels at once.
It will have three 30mm galvanized water pipes as air chambers. Which will be pressurized to 250 psi max and 150 minimum.
All 3 chambers will be fired at once. The ball valve will be spring powdered.
It will shoot my new type of ammunition inspired from SpudBlaster's hybrid cannon which shot glass marbles.

That's all i've thought of for now, nice, easy and simple.
Tell me what you think guys, do you think it will work? I would fill the barrels with about 7 - 13 marbles per barrel.

DerpWithAGun
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 am

I'm ok with one valve and two barrels, but why three chambers?

Also, when you say blunderbuss, do you mean you actually with a conical bore? Aside from being difficult to make, that would be terribly inefficient. I would stay with a cylindrical bore and just flare out the muzzle slightly.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DerpWithAGun » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am

Yeah dude, that's what I meant, only flaring out the barrels.
I will use 3 chambers because it should be a lot stronger, unless I go for 1 long ass 50mm galvanized pipe. What do you think would be more efficient and powerful? 3 chambers or 1 bigger chamber?

EDIT: I was digging through a pile of crap in my cupboard and found my old replica pistol blunderbuss! I'll upload a picture of it and maybe someone can tell me if I could use it in my project.

EDIT2: OMG! I think I may have discovered a new way for a ball valve trigger mechanism! My replica blunderbuss is slightly broken, the hammer has busted in half (sadly) and the 2nd hammer is all gone. I looked inside and had a look at the trigger mechanism and it looked similar to the gear you use inside a rubber band gun. You pull the hammer back and the trigger clicks onto these gears on the hammer. I thought hey, this hammer thing looks like a ball valve handle.

But never mind, give me 5 minutes I'll upload a picture so you guys can see. This is so exciting!

Last edited by DerpWithAGun on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

DerpWithAGun
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Also, when you say blunderbuss, do you mean you actually with a conical bore? Aside from being difficult to make, that would be terribly inefficient. I would stay with a cylindrical bore and just flare out the muzzle slightly.

I can't recall where but I believe I've read that the gunsmiths knew that the flaring did nothing to help disperse the shot but still made them so for the appearance.

Maybe it was also useful for loading the thing as well.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: DerpWithAGun » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 am

Well, here is a picture of the hammer, I can so see this as a custom ball valve handle.

And here is the mechanism. Take note of the notches on the gear. You can see the trigger but it just hooks on to the gears. I'm thinking a powerful spring system in this stock and I've got myself a pretty neat looking, fast opening ball valve.

Tell me what you think guys.

DerpWithAGun
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 am

DerpWithAGun wrote:Yeah dude, that's what I meant, only flaring out the barrels.
I will use 3 chambers because it should be a lot stronger, unless I go for 1 long ass 50mm galvanized pipe. What do you think would be more efficient and powerful? 3 chambers or 1 bigger chamber?

I say one smaller chamber at higher pressure, that will make is look better and be more power full, download GGDT read the usage tab then model the gun you want. you will need to model it with one big barre, shouldn't really matter much

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DerpWithAGun » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:11 am

Crna Legija wrote:
DerpWithAGun wrote:Yeah dude, that's what I meant, only flaring out the barrels.

I say one smaller chamber at higher pressure, that will make is look better and be more power full, download GGDT read the usage tab then model the gun you want. you will need to model it with one big barre, shouldn't really matter much

Yeah but would it be able to propel 20 odd glass marbles at an effective range of 15 - 20 yards?

DerpWithAGun
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:13 am

DerpWithAGun wrote:
Crna Legija wrote:

Yeah but would it be able to propel 20 odd glass marbles at an effective range of 15 - 20 yards?

idk use ggdt ffs, i didn't link you to it for no reason.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 am

I've been trying to get my hands on one of those toy guns to use as a hammer valve gun stock, I think if it has a strong enough spring it would work.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 am

One chamber is more efficient. Get some numbers and plug them into GGDT so you can decide for yourself instead of saying things like "an effective range" or "a lot stronger." Not only do we not know what velocity corresponds with "effective," you should also know that just splitting a chamber into three parts has no effect.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DerpWithAGun » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:46 am

Okay, I'm having second thoughts now. I want to make a double barrel sawn off shotgun model and I want to make a blunderbuss. Someone help me decide.

DerpWithAGun
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am

DerpWithAGun wrote:I want to make a double barrel sawn off shotgun model and I want to make a blunderbuss. Someone help me decide.

Make two copies of Brian's pirate pistol and duct tape them together ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion