Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 75 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

***Piston Breakage/Accident***

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
mattyzip77 wrote: it was only low p s i, and was sitting in front of a fan for like 8 hours!! I thought it was pretty darn good for my first working piston!! 8) javascript:emoticon('8)')

Don't be surprised if this piston housing also blows to bits. You could have got bubbles between the glued joints from when you pressurized it. Then again, the joint may be fine. Who knows.

Would I use it personally, no.

I realise this post will do little to change your mind but hopefully you'll refrain from ignoring instructions in the future. You're supposed to wait 24 hours for a reason.

Thanks for the warning, but its fine! I have been using it for 2 days now, and about 80 shots!! Next time, I will wait though! I also added the extra washer to the front. I just got 300 balls from the range earlier tonight so this thing will be doing work tomorrow!! 8)

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Just because it seems fine now doesn't mean you're not putting microfractures in the PVC and lowering its tensile strength. I'd be very careful...

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm

All my PVC failure have been delayed after many days of good performance. My Mouse Musket broke a piston about once a year. My Marshmallow Cannon broke the PVC cap after 2 years. My Dragon cannon failed after the 2nd or third shot. 2 Days of good performance does not mean it will not fail.

Photos of two of my PVC failures after a season of good use are shown in this link. http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/pvc-is-fragile-t21334.html

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Anything pvc or plastic, in my opinion, will not last forever!!!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion