Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1-1/2" Solenoid Mod ?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1-1/2" Solenoid Mod ?

Unread postAuthor: Atattack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 pm

I am trying to plan out my next gun which will have a 3" barrel and also 3" Chamber. I found this solenoid valve and am trying to figure out if I can mod it to fire with a blowgun. It is a 2 way valve according to spec sheet but was wondering if anyone has modified a metal solenoid of this size? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-1-1-2-Quick ... 415c9a9fd4

Atattack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Basically unscrew the solenoid valve and replace it with a blowgun. If the thread doesn't match, reducer :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow, thats a monster of a valve, if I do say so myself! Its basically just a qev with a solenoid, so as the aspiring machinist said, just remove the solenoid and screw in your blow gun! Good luck!!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Atattack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks guys, sorry for the noob?. I was hoping it would be that simple. I am trying to make a nice water balloon launcher. Figured this with a 3" barrel and the proper "packing" of the balloons would make for a nice hand held launcher. You think that valve is to much is I keep psi around 100-125psi?

Atattack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Atattack wrote:You think that valve is to much is I keep psi around 100-125psi?

For that pressure, you could probably get a sprinkler valve for cheaper, I would shop around first. That would be my choice if I was aiming for 150 psi plus, though really getting a metal valve for a few dollars more makes it more hardwearing if you have the cash to spare.

Also, don't you have a piston launcher to finish ;)

Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Atattack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Sounds great, I just got a call back from a guy from SMC. I call this AM and just heard back, and he said that a blowgun would not fire the valve. I said I need to go with this part number-VXFA 2280-14N

Here is a link to data sheet.

http://www.coastpneumatics.com/metric/v ... Valves.pdf

And needed this to fire it.

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/NVM130-N01-08.html

I'm a little confused cause I am brand new to Solenoid, but from tech drawing looks like there is a port for the electrical portion, and also an exhaust valve. Not trying to disagree with you two cause again I'm a noob but just thought I'd let ya know what they told me.

Atattack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 pm

I would stick with the qev. You would have to modify the sprinkler valve, and if your new to the game, you only get one shot at doing it right. It is a easy mod, but why take the chance for a few bucks more???

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Atattack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Any idea where to get a 1", 1-1/4", or a 1-1/2" qev for a decent price? I have searched and only found 3/4".

Another idea is to use a brass sprinkerl valve like this one.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain- ... 150-gb.htm

Is the steps for modding these the same as plastic sprinkler valves or is it harder? I know you said it is easy but would being metal make it more difficult?

Atattack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Atattack wrote:I'm a little confused cause I am brand new to Solenoid, but from tech drawing looks like there is a port for the electrical portion, and also an exhaust valve. Not trying to disagree with you two cause again I'm a noob but just thought I'd let ya know what they told me.

Here's a little drawing showing how it works, and one way of modding it. The important thing is understanding which is the path you want the air to take ;)

Attachments
solenoid_mod.PNG
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Atattack wrote:Sounds great, I just got a call back from a guy from SMC. I call this AM and just heard back, and he said that a blowgun would not fire the valve. I said I need to go with this part number-VXFA 2280-14N

Here is a link to data sheet.

http://www.coastpneumatics.com/metric/v ... Valves.pdf

And needed this to fire it.

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/NVM130-N01-08.html

I'm a little confused cause I am brand new to Solenoid, but from tech drawing looks like there is a port for the electrical portion, and also an exhaust valve. Not trying to disagree with you two cause again I'm a noob but just thought I'd let ya know what they told me.
That guy told you that cuz he wants you to spend more money, and did you tell him it was for a potato cannon?How many has he built and how many have we built? Listen to us dude, the blowgun will work, take a look around and you will see we are correct!!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:That guy told you that cuz he wants you to spend more money, and did you tell him it was for a potato cannon?How many has he built and how many have we built? Listen to us dude, the blowgun will work, take a look around and you will see we are correct!!

Looking at the schematic, hooking up a blowgun directly in the solenoid thread would not work, it would need some though as I illustrated above.

On the other hand, that solenoid pilot is relatively high flow, you can use it as-is and hook it up to a battery... it doesn't really need modding in the way sprinkler valves do.

An electric pilot gives you the convenience of having a switch as a trigger, letting you put the grip wherever you want easily without having to route pneumatic piping and losing power through dead space.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 pm

JSR I was speaking about the qev valve and the phone call he got was about the qev valve, I think???

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:00 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:JSR I was speaking about the qev valve and the phone call he got was about the qev valve, I think???

I think we're talking about the original solenoid piloted quick exhaust valve mentioned in the first post. Remember, QEV defines what it does, not what it is ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Atattack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:01 pm

JSR, I like the idea of using valve as is with a battery. This valve is 110VAC 50/60Hz. Would I be able to fire this with a battery? Would like to have everything on gun contained in a project box if possible to protect from water from balloons. Here is a data sheet on valve.

http://www.coastpneumatics.com/metric/v ... valves.pdf

Atattack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Atattack wrote:JSR, I like the idea of using valve as is with a battery. This valve is 110VAC 50/60Hz.

I would think you'd need an inverter, you can get them pretty cheap on eBay - although thinking about it if I'm not mistaken AC solenoids can run on DC.

Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion