Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Acetylene tank valve removal?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Acetylene tank valve removal?

Unread postAuthor: jmez1996 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

I got an empty 16oz acetylene gas bottle to use as a air chamber on my next gun but it has an internal valve in the stem which stops the gas escaping when there is no fitting on the bottle which i need to remove.

Anybody got any ideas how this can be done?
Can it be drilled out safely?
cheers

jmez1996
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:54 am

I would feel safer punching the valve though, its what I did with my paintball tank. Just make sure you can get it out though, or else you are doomed to incessant rattling every time you move the tank. :D Then drill the stem afterwards so that the cavity you are left with is big enough for the valve core to drop out of.

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jmez1996 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

Alster370 wrote:I would feel safer punching the valve though, its what I did with my paintball tank. Just make sure you can get it out though, or else you are doomed to incessant rattling every time you move the tank. :D Then drill the stem afterwards so that the cavity you are left with is big enough for the valve core to drop out of.

thanks! pretty much exactly what i needed to know :)
cheers

jmez1996
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

Can you just unthread the whole valve? You may be able to find a fitting with similar threads.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: wyz2285 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:30 am

do you mean a pin valve? the valve core can be taking out easily, but you have to remove the whole valve first

CpTn_lAw wrote::D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
wyz2285
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Acetylene gas is dissolved in acetone. The Acetone is kept in a filter type material. The empty tank is not empty. In old tanks the filler was asbestos.

Acetylene is unstable when compressed to over ~30PSI. This is why it is dissolved instead of just compressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene

Acetylene is not especially toxic but when generated from calcium carbide it can contain toxic impurities such as traces of phosphine and arsine. It is also highly flammable (hence its use in welding). Its singular hazard is associated with its intrinsic instability, especially when it is pressurized. Samples of concentrated or pure acetylene can easily react in an addition-type reaction to form a number of products, typically benzene and/or vinylacetylene. This reaction is exothermic. Consequently, acetylene can explode with extreme violence if the pressure of the gas exceeds about 200 kPa (29 psi) as a gas[16] or when in liquid or solid form. It is therefore shipped and stored dissolved in acetone or dimethylformamide (DMF), contained in a metal cylinder with a porous filling (Agamassan), which renders it safe to transport and use, given proper handling.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jmez1996 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 am

Technician1002 wrote:Acetylene gas is dissolved in acetone. The Acetone is kept in a filter type material. The empty tank is not empty.

So is it safe to remove the valve inside? and use as an air tank?

jmez1996
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:52 pm

jmez1996 wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:Acetylene gas is dissolved in acetone. The Acetone is kept in a filter type material. The empty tank is not empty.

So is it safe to remove the valve inside? and use as an air tank?

Probably not. It's made for about 30 PSI, but may be thicker than necessary for durability.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Not to mention the structure inside will restrict flow, or may exit the tank and lodge in the valve.

I'd dissolve NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub> in the tank and let it deposit throughout the tank, then use it for storing dry ammonia.

Also, I believe some tanks store acetylene at 150PSI, it being dissolved reduces the chance of it detonating<sup>1</sup>

<sup>1</sup> It does detonate, as opposed to burning.

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Zeus
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:53 pm

The tanks run about 125~160 PSI to the regulator. This is why it is important to use flashback arresters on the torch and use low gas pressure. I rarely use over 5 PSI with my torch.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion