Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Been away from the hobby for a long time...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Been away from the hobby for a long time...

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Hey Guys,

I used to be an active member back in 2008. Due to my lack of a job, I could never really afford to spend money on anything (interesting choice of hobby for a zero budget..!).

Anyway, I recently fixed my old coaxial cannon: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#206059, and it's going great. As great as it can go that is. Twisting a ball valve is an awkward action to achieve when you are aiming at anything. As I said back in the day, I used to fill this with water for a decent water cannon. To this day, this is still the most useful thing to do with it...

I was lurking here earlier today, and remembered the old "blow gun sprinkler valve pilot release" trick. After a short search of places in New Zealand, looks like these sprinkler valves are a good $40 each. Seems like an expensive way to turn this thing from a super soaker into a decent gun (even with the weird 25mm barrel). Are there better ways of piloting? A few tests with the ball valve suggests I really need the full 15mm ball valve (it will pilot at 50%, but it isn't as good).

Anyway, I jumped on here to say hello and thanks for all the help you guys gave me back when I built this thing..!

Cheers,

MM

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 pm

A bit of reading and I learned about a quick exhaust valve. One such valve is available for about $20USD... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pneumatic-3-4-S ... 4cfb7a1b13

It's rated to 140psi, which is fine for me as I run this gun up to 60psi.

There are cheaper ones, but only able to handle very small pressures (10psi).

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 pm

You can usually find 1" sprinkler valves on TradeMe for $20-$30. I bought four 2" sprinkler valves off there for $20 total :D

If you're desperate, I'm sure I have a few spare ones lying around with pre-drilled holes for a blowgun. Let me know if you're interested and I'll sell you a valve for cheap if I can find one in working order.

Anyway, welcome back.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:36 am

Looking through trademe, I have found a few options. If I get desperate, I'll let you know.

How's the relay box? I have extensive knowledge in electronics...

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 am

It's good, finished it today and everything seems to be working fine. I'll be sure to come to you for help with any further electronic enquiries.

Don't hesitate to ask about some sprinkler valves, I never use the spare ones I have lying around. The only issue is that the holes drilled in the lid may be a bit worn so epoxy may be required when fitting a blowgun to it but apart from that I'm sure they'd work.

If you're looking to build bigger valves, pistons are the way to go.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 am

Welcome back to the fold :)

Lack of money is not really an excuse with a bit of imagination, though as MrC pointed out and your ebay research has shown, you can get reasonably high performance parts on a shoestring budget these days.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:47 am

Most of the fun for me is in the actual building of the weapon. Probably why I dropped the hobby back then - I got it working, and couldn't pay for the next big thing.

The spark returned when I wanted to fix it. I've improved the piston again today, so now it seals on the back face after venting the pilot volume. No idea if that actuall improves anything, but at the same time I significantly reduced the weight, and improved the strength of the plastic with epoxy...

Time to start thinking of a cool cannon design. I'll have access to a full machine shop next year (lathe, mill, drill press...!). Which asks the question; what's cool these days?

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 am

microman171 wrote:Which asks the question; what's cool these days?
Only one thing; hybrids.

Things haven't necessarily revolutionised in hybrid designs since you've been gone but a lot of progress has been made. People are making them bigger and bigger and smaller and smaller with new fuel combinations and valve designs.

These days they're the same price, if not cheaper, than building pneumatics (for us in NZ) with a whole lot more power. 2" galv iron fittings can be a few dollars cheaper than pressure rated 2" PVC here. Only problem is the noise if you live in the suburbs or CBD.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:05 am

I noticed that too actually... I bought a 3/4" galv cap once, and it was about $1...

What's the go on a hand held type hybrid? Supersonic marbles would be scary.

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:08 am

microman171 wrote:What's the go on a hand held type hybrid? Supersonic marbles would be scary.

Your insane compatriot doesn't seem to mind :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 am

microman171 wrote:What's the go on a hand held type hybrid? Supersonic marbles would be scary.

Hand-held hybrids are common now, galv iron fittings are fine in hybrids up to 10x mixes. I rarely go higher, some people do often, but if you stick to 10x and under, hybrids are probably more safe than PVC pneumatics. Personally, I feel more safe.

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Your insane compatriot doesn't seem to mind :)

:D

I see that my extremely modest video title has had zero effect on video views. Back to the drawing board on my YouTube video views theory :wink:

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 am

That's crazy..! Also, golfballs are a whole lot cooler to shoot than marbles...

I'm going to have to read up on these piston hybrids... No idea how it works! Does the job though. Excellent cannon.

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 am

MrCrowley wrote:I see that my extremely modest video title has had zero effect on video views. Back to the drawing board on my YouTube video views theory :wink:

Interestingly, my video with the same title has 71,419 views as of the time of this post. :?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:45 am

Hmm, I'd probably attribute it to your tags or extra subscribers. I always attributed the high view count of my early views to that first Instructable I made which got sent all over the place.

Perhaps I should steal your tags as well as your video titles :P

BTWLOL:
@CanadianPyro1 nice one... but you say "hand held" suggest change title lol... no way this can be hand held, way tooo heavy for your wrist.

david1991rules4life 2 months ago

Edit: To avoid confusion, I AM going to steal your video tags :D
Edit 2: I'm gonna start calling my hybrid 'combustion light gas gun' instead for video titles :idea:

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:I see that my extremely modest video title has had zero effect on video views. Back to the drawing board on my YouTube video views theory :wink:

Interestingly, my video with the same title has 71,419 views as of the time of this post. :?

lol at the top comment bagging US rednecks when your name is CanadianPyro1.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion