Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

This is going to seem kind of ironic...help with o-ring size

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
This is going to seem kind of ironic...help with o-ring size

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:49 pm

So despite having written an o-ring calculator... that is for "stretched" o-rings, and not floating o-rings, as far as I know itd be hard to determine a size for floating o-rings via calculation..

I need to make a piston to seal in a .957" diameter pipe.. This is for a floating o-ring, barrel sealing piston. I was thinking of using 1/8" cross sectional diameter nominal, .139" actual width..

Problem is in determing the OD of the o-ring. Right now its either 1.012", 1.074", or 1.137"..

Which should I use for proper squeeze? I have to order them, so I can't size them up by hand..

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Why do you have to order them? Any home improvement or Auto supply store has all kinds of o-rings.
I will say that a floating o-ring on a piston valve seems to largely be a waste of time.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

a floating o-ring is not a waste of time at all... why would you say that?

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Re: This is going to seem kind of ironic...help with o-ring

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:07 pm

JDP12 wrote:Problem is in determing the OD of the o-ring. Right now its either 1.012", 1.074", or 1.137"..

Which should I use for proper squeeze?

I think they're all much to large. Without consulting the Machinery Handbook, I'd guess that you should have no more than .010 squeeze. Just a guess on my part.

EDIT....Maybe this will help:
http://www.allorings.com/gland_dynamic_reciprocating.htm

Last edited by velocity3x on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:09 pm

I agree with velocity, I'd say they're all too big.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:14 pm

hm thats helpful! May have to create a program to calculate size of floating o-rings...

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 pm

The o-ring really needs to be the actual id of the tube. A floating o-ring in the piston seems to be a waste of time because whatever gain is had by the o-ring sealing the pliot area upon venting seems offset by friction.
Real world comparison between two pistons, one with a leak and the other with a floating o-ring seems to be a splitting hairs comparison.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Floating o-rings, I always thought, were very low friction, compared to tight rings?

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:03 pm

floating pistons allow less friction as you aren't forcing the o-ring into the pipe prestretched for the seal, the seal is achieved when air rushes in and forces the o-ring up against the tubing..which is why I want to use floating o-ring, and to be honest I don't know why they aren't in more prolific use nowadays.. although they do seem to be gaining popularity

see here.. http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... matic1.jpg

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Under pressure they balloon out though. An o-ring that will slowly fall through a tube on its own will seal tightly under pressure.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:05 pm

you still want to have an o-ring that is a semitight fit in the tube though for floating o-rings.

I'll prolly just wait til I get to go home and try and find an o-ring there that will do the job instead of trying to find one online.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:12 pm

No, it only has to brush the sides. It does not have to be semi-tight. Have you actually used them or are you spouting theory? It doesn't really matter whether the seal it from a stretched o-ring or a floating o-ring under pressure when it comes to the seal.
The only difference is that the floating o-ring is designed to be able to move back and forth in the groove.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm

I'm going off of experience from one valve I've built and theory from Technician. At first I tried semi-loose o-rings but they didn't seal.

It could have been because they were too hard however.

So Hawkeye it seems you have a bit more experience with floating o-rings.. just get one that brushes the sides of the tube is your recommendation?

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: CS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 pm

In my experience, at the hardware store, the dimensions given for o-rings are relative - not spot on. You would need to order a variety of sizes, perhaps one that is stated a few thousandths under will actually be the one to work. One other option is getting the o-ring with the smallest tolerance over what you need, and then sanding... not fun.

To test fitting, the o-ring should fit in there with a small amount of pressure and no deformation from a perfect circle. For instance if it is to large it will be wavy, etc.

edit:emphasis on no deformation and small

CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Yea.... i wish mcmaster sold o-rings in packs of less than 100.... sucks.

I think I'll try my local hardware store first before trying to order some online.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion