Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

two different cannon ideas..

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

Which should I use my mauler for?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Golf ball cannon
9
69%
tennis ball cannon
4
31%
 
Total votes : 13
  • Author
    Message

two different cannon ideas..

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey everyone, this is more of a vote thread that anything else.. I have a mauler that needs to be used, and I am at a point where I don't know what to build.. I have two choices:

Simple, yet huge over/under tennis ball cannon

OR

Semi-advanced golf ball cannon, much like Crowley's V.A.L.

On the tennis ball cannon, I will be electrically firing the Mauler via 1 inch Rain Bird sprinkler valve

On the golf ball cannon, I will modify the 1 inch Rain Bird sprinkler valve to pilot the Mauler.

So now, it's up to you.. WHICH SHOULD I BUILD?
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Tennis ball cannon, more room for different ammo.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Re: two different cannon ideas..

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:23 pm

evanmcorleytv wrote:Simple, yet huge over/under tennis ball cannon


Will this be the cannon that will shoot concrete filled tennis balls, which you mentioned in another thread?
  • 0

User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Re: two different cannon ideas..

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm

velocity3x wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:Simple, yet huge over/under tennis ball cannon


Will this be the cannon that will shoot concrete filled tennis balls, which you mentioned in another thread?


indeed.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Re: two different cannon ideas..

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:49 pm

evanmcorleytv wrote:
velocity3x wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:Simple, yet huge over/under tennis ball cannon


Will this be the cannon that will shoot concrete filled tennis balls, which you mentioned in another thread?


indeed.


What material will you build with? I'm sure you realize that a concrete filled TB will weigh approx 300 grams and require about 2+kpsi pressure to push it 700 yards. That's a tall order for a Mauler valve, 1 inch Rain Bird sprinkler valve and pvc pipe fittings......but I could be wrong.
  • 0

User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:44 pm

5-6 foot by 5 inch chamber, 10 foot barrel.. I told you it would be huge..

Either that, or I would machine a "scaled-up" version of the valve to make a larger cannon.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 am

evanmcorleytv wrote:5-6 foot by 5 inch chamber, 10 foot barrel.. I told you it would be huge.


There's much more to constructing the device you've described than simply saying......"I told you it would be huge". Based on your performance criteria, I don't think you have a concept of what is involved in a high pressure, high gas volume and flow device....especially one of this size.

Do you have the machining facilities to produce such a device? Do you have the knowledge, skill and engineering ability to design and produce a device that WILL withstand the extreme forces exerted on components? Do you have a large budget that will allow you to construct this device? Are you willing to devote many, many hours and days to design and construction?

Although constructing a large bore cannon to launch such heavy projectiles 700 yards is a lofty goal, you might consider all that is involved and required to do so.

I think you should be more practical and build the low pressure GB cannon. Which ever you choose to build, I wish you well in your endeavor.
  • 0

User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:28 pm

evanmcorleytv wrote:5-6 foot by 5 inch chamber, 10 foot barrel.. I told you it would be huge..

Either that, or I would machine a "scaled-up" version of the valve to make a larger cannon.


lol... large cannon's take a large amount of time and money to make... trust me :wink:

That said, this sight could use more of them! :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Reputation: 9

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 pm

velocity3x wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:5-6 foot by 5 inch chamber, 10 foot barrel.. I told you it would be huge.


There's much more to constructing the device you've described than simply saying......"I told you it would be huge". Based on your performance criteria, I don't think you have a concept of what is involved in a high pressure, high gas volume and flow device....especially one of this size.

Do you have the machining facilities to produce such a device? Do you have the knowledge, skill and engineering ability to design and produce a device that WILL withstand the extreme forces exerted on components? Do you have a large budget that will allow you to construct this device? Are you willing to devote many, many hours and days to design and construction?

Although constructing a large bore cannon to launch such heavy projectiles 700 yards is a lofty goal, you might consider all that is involved and required to do so.

I think you should be more practical and build the low pressure GB cannon. Which ever you choose to build, I wish you well in your endeavor.


I DO have machining facilities that I can use, I DO have the skill, and knowledge required, and I DO in fact have the budget. Since I live 45 minutes away from a PVC factory, my pipe is incredibly sheap, and also, I meant to say that it SHOULD launch REGULAR tennis balls ABOUT 700 yards.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm

evanmcorleytv wrote:I meant to say that it SHOULD launch REGULAR tennis balls ABOUT 700 yards.


Oh....I too get the words "concrete filled" and "regular" confused when whenever I speak about tennis balls. :wink: I really don't know the max range of a regular tennis ball, but a regular tennis ball cannon is certainly a doable project without lots of machining, money and time. I change my vote to a "regular" tennis ball gun.
  • 0

User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:13 pm

velocity3x wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:I meant to say that it SHOULD launch REGULAR tennis balls ABOUT 700 yards.


Oh....I too get the words "concrete filled" and "regular" confused when whenever I speak about tennis balls. :wink: I really don't know the max range of a regular tennis ball, but a regular tennis ball cannon is certainly a doable project without lots of machining, money and time. I change my vote to a "regular" tennis ball gun.


What I meant was that is the maximum distance with a tennis ball. I would still use concrete filled tennis balls for destroying things.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't think you'll be getting even close to 700 yards unless you filled tennis balls with concrete. Normal tennis balls have poor aerodynamics and poor external ballistics (crap sectional density).

Concrete filled tennis balls from your cannon would go roughly 550 yards according to GGDT, that might be optimistic as I used 0.5 for the drag coeff (which is the Cd for a sphere, tennis balls would be worse as they have little hairs on them).
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm

MrCrowley wrote:I don't think you'll be getting even close to 700 yards unless you filled tennis balls with concrete. Normal tennis balls have poor aerodynamics and poor external ballistics (crap sectional density).

Concrete filled tennis balls from your cannon would go roughly 550 yards according to GGDT, that might be optimistic as I used 0.5 for the drag coeff (which is the Cd for a sphere, tennis balls would be worse as they have little hairs on them).


lol don't worry, I will shave my balls.. haha and I would probably end up using racket balls.. I can get them for cheap, not to mention that I could just make my own darts..
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:07 pm

evanmcorleytv wrote:lol don't worry, I will shave my balls.. haha and I would probably end up using racket balls.. I can get them for cheap, not to mention that I could just make my own darts..
Will take more than shaved balls, I get about 200m on GGDT for tennis balls from your cannon. Even though the range calculator is some-what rudimentary, I don't think those calculations are that far off from real world tests.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:lol don't worry, I will shave my balls.. haha and I would probably end up using racket balls.. I can get them for cheap, not to mention that I could just make my own darts..
Will take more than shaved balls, I get about 200m on GGDT for tennis balls from your cannon. Even though the range calculator is some-what rudimentary, I don't think those calculations are that far off from real world tests.


Well, at the moment, it doesn't matter, because I have more votes for the golf ball cannon.. lol
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'