Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Gussmoore, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Here. Idea that needs aproval

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
New Here. Idea that needs aproval

Unread postAuthor: Engineererrrr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello,
I am new to Spudfiles and the customs of posting. I also don't fully understand the terms used to describe Pneumatic things.
I find air cannons very interesting and cool and want to know more as well as build one of my own.

I have an idea for an airgun:

It is a coaxial piston valve system made from 3/4 copper pipe with a 1/2 copper pipe barrel. The air release is going to be a blowgun nozzle. I will fill the cannon with air from a bike pump through a schrader valve ( hopefully one that pumps over 200 psi ) i was thinking of making the cannon semi auto with a vast source of compressed air through a regulator. However i want to know how to connect a blowgun nozzle to the copper pipe and regulator ( the fittings ) or how to connect a hose from the regulator to the air supply. My air supply could be a large containment made from pvc ( like a back pack ).

What do you think about my idea?

Engineererrrr
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

If you want to use 200 psi, a backpack tank made out of PVC is a bad idea. I suggest just getting the launcher made, then worry about semi auto and all the icing on the cake.

Blowguns have 1/4" NPT threads, so you can use a tube x FIP (female threads) adapter on the copper chamber. From there, a 3/4" x 1/4" bushing (can be brass or galvanized), and then a 1/4" close nipple to a 1/4" tee. You can attach your blowgun to the bottom port of the tee by using another 1/4" close nipple and you can put a bike tire valve (schraeder valve) in the back facing port of the tee.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Engineererrrr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for replying.
Could all these fittings be found at a place like "Home Depot"?
Also how would i change the fittings to put a blowgun on to a 1/2 copper pipe? I was thinking of making a 1/2 pipe chamber for the piston valve and 1/4 pipe for the barrel (1/4 i believe is about the size of a 6mm bb)

Just to clarify, can the structure of the airgun be:
1/4 copper connected to an 1/2 to 1/4 adapter pipe (after sanding of the part that prevents the 1/4 from sliding into the 1/2). The adapter to a 1/2 pipe with a piston inside, then connected to a "t" pipe. The bottom port of the "t" will be connected to a corner with a pipe, the pipe is closed with a end cap and schrader valve. The other port of the "t" will connect to a corner pipe that is the fitted with fittings to the blowgun.

Sorry i cant seem to be able to put up my plan onto spudfiles
I hope you understand my description.

Engineererrrr
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm not following your description :D

Attachments
engineer.png
engineer.png (14.34 KiB) Viewed 204 times
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Engineererrrr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:42 pm

:D I see, so my general idea will work.

Can i replace the scrader valve for a source of regulated air to make it semi auto?

Engineererrrr
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion