Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

2inch piston bumper's??

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
2inch piston bumper's??

Unread postAuthor: CooperJS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:51 am

Hey guys, recently built a 2 inch piston valve and was wondering what are some really good bumpers? I tried i tennis ball but that didn't seem to do much, and so i stopped using the cannon until i find a better solution.
The piston still sounds like its ramming really hard even with the tennis balls.
So are there any other options??

Cooper

CooperJS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: CooperJS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 am

Oh and the piston weighs probably a little less than a wood one, its machined from nylon :)

Cooper

CooperJS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 am

I've had very good results with a bumper made from the core if a Poof brand foam football. In this photo, the bumper is next to the golfball.
The bumper is as big as the 2 inch piston.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: CooperJS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:45 am

oh yea that, looks good, is it a foam football with wire wrapped around it or something??
I found sound lego tires that are about 2 and half inches, that i can cut slits out to fit inside, they look pretty good and might work, but that foam football idea is really neat to, would there be any other types of bumpers?

CooperJS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am

There is no wire wrapped around it. I started with a shorter bumper and added length to it so the band in the middle is a flat piece of PVC like the washer between the bumper and the piston in the photo. The bumper was made by using a sharpened piece of pipe and screwing it into the football to saw it's way in. The two pieces are glued to the washer in the middle. This helps prevent it from bunching up. The bumper almost touches the piston in the closed position so when it is about half way open, it starts to slow the piston back down so it does not pound on the cleanout cap hard. It used to pop off the cap when it hit the end. The longer bumper has stopped that.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:29 pm

I have used pieces cut from old flip flops, a.k.a. shower shoes, however if that does not work try a tougher tennis ball from a pet store, the ones for dogs. They are alot thicker. Its always good to replace bumpers on a regular basis though. Good luck!!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CooperJS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Im trying out the lego tires today to see how well they work, they look pretty good, and look like they would stop the piston softly, but if they dont work i will try some more tennis balls or maybe even packaging foam, the really soft stuff.

Cooper

CooperJS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion