Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 30 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Mauler valve discussion thread.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:I took care of it, it was well lubed and cleaned like all my cannons. Great idea with the solid back cap, however the piston is very light, at least mine was. It wouldnt hurt to up your bumper a little bit though. Good luck with it. Have you seen my asco launcher? The power is unreal! I put a golfball through both sides of a steel drum!!! :D


My piston was light, but it exploded... so... But no, I have not seen it.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Spud Destruction » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 am

matty do you have a youtube page with videos of you using your cannons?
  • 0

User avatar
Spud Destruction
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 am
Location: California
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: sgort87 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:43 am

There seems to be an epidemic of Mauler back plugs cracking at the screw holes. Other than Evan, you're the only person to mention this, Matty, but it still concerns me a lot.

It looks like it's time to revisit the drawing board for yet another Mauler design adjustment! :D
  • 0

<a href="http://www.launchpotatoes.com"><img src="http://www.launchpotatoes.com/images/uploads/logo2.PNG"></a>
http://www.LaunchPotatoes.com
User avatar
sgort87
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:32 am
Location: Lockport, Illinois
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 am

@ spuddestruction no I dont, only camera I have is on my cell. I have a few damage pics posted in the forum somewheres but nothing that hasnt been done before. I have a few pics of a 55 gallon steel drum I put a golf ball through that I need to post. @ gort the back plug itself cracked not the tee itself, however that happened to the supah valve though :(
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 am

mattyzip77 wrote:@ spuddestruction no I dont, only camera I have is on my cell. I have a few damage pics posted in the forum somewheres but nothing that hasnt been done before. I have a few pics of a 55 gallon steel drum I put a golf ball through that I need to post. @ gort the back plug itself cracked not the tee itself, however that happened to the supah valve though :(


Which is why no one likes Supah valves.

sgort87 wrote:There seems to be an epidemic of Mauler back plugs cracking at the screw holes. Other than Evan, you're the only person to mention this, Matty, but it still concerns me a lot.

It looks like it's time to revisit the drawing board for yet another Mauler design adjustment! :D


Make it out of metal. Aluminum piston, steel TEE, steel cap, and .5 inch thick rubber bumper. For use at 400 PSI.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

Noone meaning you??? Its made from pvc so its going to break sooner or later. Dont rag on it till you try one. Its a well designed valve just like the mauler except its a chamber sealer. If you had one or tried one you would love it. I have never heard a bad thing about one. You need to try a diaphragm dust collector valve if you wanna see power!!
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 am

mattyzip77 wrote:Noone meaning you??? Its made from pvc so its going to break sooner or later. Dont rag on it till you try one. Its a well designed valve just like the mauler except its a chamber sealer. If you had one or tried one you would love it. I have never heard a bad thing about one. You need to try a diaphragm dust collector valve if you wanna see power!!


I have a 3/4 inch 400 PSI QEV shotgun. It's actually for sale. It's quite powerful. But Gort and I have also discussed making a chamber-sealing version of the Mauler. But PVC should not wear down that easily, that's why they use it to build houses.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:32 am

evanmcorleytv wrote:
mattyzip77 wrote:Noone meaning you??? Its made from pvc so its going to break sooner or later. Dont rag on it till you try one. Its a well designed valve just like the mauler except its a chamber sealer. If you had one or tried one you would love it. I have never heard a bad thing about one. You need to try a diaphragm dust collector valve if you wanna see power!!


I have a 3/4 inch 400 PSI QEV shotgun. It's actually for sale. It's quite powerful. But Gort and I have also discussed making a chamber-sealing version of the Mauler. But PVC should not wear down that easily, that's why they use it to build houses.


A barrel sealer will open faster in a smaller package, I don't see much merit in a chamber sealing Mauler. It would open slower or be bulkier and rely more heavily on the piston seals.

Also, PVC isn't used to "build" houses. Siding and plumbing are made of PVC but that's about it.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 am

I have been framing houses for 15 years and I have never use pvc to build a house. it's made to use for the plumbing yes inside of walls and underground never to be seen or disturbed. Its not made for what we use it for which is why after time it breaks. Vinyl siding is used to side houses.
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:I have been framing houses for 15 years and I have never use pvc to build a house. it's made to use for the plumbing yes inside of walls and underground never to be seen or disturbed. Its not made for what we use it for which is why after time it breaks. Vinyl siding is used to side houses.


mark.f wrote:
evanmcorleytv wrote:
mattyzip77 wrote:Noone meaning you??? Its made from pvc so its going to break sooner or later. Dont rag on it till you try one. Its a well designed valve just like the mauler except its a chamber sealer. If you had one or tried one you would love it. I have never heard a bad thing about one. You need to try a diaphragm dust collector valve if you wanna see power!!


I have a 3/4 inch 400 PSI QEV shotgun. It's actually for sale. It's quite powerful. But Gort and I have also discussed making a chamber-sealing version of the Mauler. But PVC should not wear down that easily, that's why they use it to build houses.


A barrel sealer will open faster in a smaller package, I don't see much merit in a chamber sealing Mauler. It would open slower or be bulkier and rely more heavily on the piston seals.

Also, PVC isn't used to "build" houses. Siding and plumbing are made of PVC but that's about it.


Whoops.. I meant to say plumbing and water delivery systems. And it was just a discussion of theory, I had the same argument about faster opening times, and so did Sean. One thing we did discuss is a hybrid version of the Mauler, made out of steel, and aluminum.
  • 0


evanmcorleytv
Major
Major
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

That would be sweet. A supah mauler!!!!
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: sgort87 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 pm

The metal sounds cool, but my shop is set up for very little metal work, and I hardly have the experience with it.

Chamber sealing Mauler, kinda neat idea, but I'm not sure there would be any practical reason for it.

As for correcting the stress problems on the back plug, I think all that's needed is a thicker bumper. Possibly just a different material. I'll look into it after this weekend.
  • 0

<a href="http://www.launchpotatoes.com"><img src="http://www.launchpotatoes.com/images/uploads/logo2.PNG"></a>
http://www.LaunchPotatoes.com
User avatar
sgort87
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:32 am
Location: Lockport, Illinois
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

sgort87 wrote:As for correcting the stress problems on the back plug, I think all that's needed is a thicker bumper. Possibly just a different material. I'll look into it after this weekend.


Have you considered Delrin or UHMW polyethylene?
  • 0

User avatar
dewey-1
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am
Location: NE Wisconsin USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:16 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:I have been framing houses for 15 years and I have never use pvc to build a house. it's made to use for the plumbing yes inside of walls and underground never to be seen or disturbed. Its not made for what we use it for which is why after time it breaks. Vinyl siding is used to side houses.



dude, i never laughed so hard from that, thats funny, i hope no one builds a house using pvc lol
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm

As for correcting the stress problems on the back plug, I think all that's needed is a thicker bumper. Possibly just a different material. I'll look into it after this weekend.


Hey gort,

For a bumper, I use soft silicon rubber cast into a kind of a 'rubber-stopper-with-a-hole-in-it' shape for simple pneumatics. I've put at least a couple hundred shots through my little 1" porting cannon with no issues.

How much would it cost to bulk order pressure-rated ABS versus PVC fittings? is it actually possible without raising the price significantly?

I have been framing houses for 15 years and I have never use pvc to build a house.


I thought vinyl siding was just PVC with a different plastisizer added, to make it impact resistant rather than ridged. you could have been using it all along... :wink:
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Fnord
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: Pripyat
Reputation: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'