Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 96 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 92 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Idea for metal piston valve.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 pm

8tonsemi wrote:The fuel charge is still 7.1PSI for 10x mix right and 2x mix= 1.42PSI?

8tonsemi wrote:And the meter is going to be 1/10th of the volume of the chamber?
No. Not sure where you got that idea from. It can be whatever size you like although some sizes are more preferable than others. For further information about this, check some postings by DYI on the subject of manometric meters. I have a feeling he may have even discussed this in one of your threads.

You really should be able to understand what D_Hall is proposing, it's quite simple and straightforward. I don't like spoonfeeding you this information when you don't understand the concepts. The problem with hybrids is that they are easy to make if you are fed information like 7.1PSI of MAPP and 132PSI of air for a 10x mix, so I hope you can understand why I don't like being straightforward with my replies. Understanding how the fuelling works is sort of like a barrier that only allows people who know what they are doing to make hybrids. The theory being that someone who can work out the fuelling and everything else is probably responsible enough to make a hybrid.

I'm lost on the in-depth chemistry behind fuelling if people are talking in moles (chemistry unit) or some of the fluid dynamics (if it falls under that) about how the gases behave and mix together, but I understand the general principles well enough.

8ton, I'm not sure why you're worrying about this now. I seriously do not think you should be building a hybrid. Granted, someone of your age is probably capable of building a hybrid, I'm just not sure if it is the safest thing to do. There's a certain amount of experience one gets from starting with basic designs and then moving up the ladder from there. I worry that if you jump right in to the deep end, someone could get hurt.

If you f*ck up with a pneumatic, you might put a hole in a wall or dent your parent's car. If you f*ck up with a hybrid, you could easily put an object through someone's living room down the street. That's not to say pneumatics aren't dangerous or aren't powerful because they are, I just want to reiterate the seriousness of making something like a 10x mix hybrid in 8th grade. These aren't toys to impress your friends with.

Just give it some time; you can work out all the details when it comes to actually making a hybrid.

Unread postAuthor: 8tonsemi » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Thank you for all the help. I'll lay off the hybrid discussions for a couple of years and search around the forum some more to find information so it won't blow up it my face when I make one :D

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion