Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

carbon fibre round tubing?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
carbon fibre round tubing?

Unread postAuthor: jonesy42 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Has anyone used carbon fibre tube for a 9mm barrel or similar size?
Claims to be: "lighter than aluminium- stronger than steel)

PS,... I live in australia where nanny's rules apply, so no rifled
barrels without a license here unfortunatley. :(

jonesy42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Assuming that this is the tube which is wound at the correct angle for pressure vessel use, it could certainly be done - the tensile strength is there, and the tube won't be significantly permeable to room temperature air if it's designed as a pressure vessel. The Young's modulus is somewhat lower than steel so the barrel would expand more than its steel counterpart on firing, but this is unlikely to be of concern to you.

I'm curious as to how you plan to attach the barrel onto the gun though - epoxy it into a tube with a threaded end and an internal diameter to fit the external diameter of the barrel?

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Carbon fiber is usually better suited to large, mid-range pressure designs (E.g, kilo-psi level) where mobility is important. Steel probably has more favorable characteristics in the sizes you're suggesting, being cheap and readily available in a large number of standard dimensions.
And if you can't find it, just buy a 9mm reamer and the closest undersized tubing available.

Also, the matrix(poly resin in this case) will be the limiting factor. Barrels tend to take a lot of abrasive wear in normal use, so you'll be shaving resin away with any type of hard projectiles.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jonesy42 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm

@DYI...I am going to use - (12mm carbon fibre tube) for my outer barrel now.....
Going to put an air-soft 650mm x 6.03mm "inner diameter" barrel tube inside
the 12mm (outside diameter and 9mm inside diameter), carbon fibre tube for
more accuracy and less wear...

To seal/join it to a 1/2 inch Alpha qev valve....screw in a 1/2 inch (npt) male joining
nipple out of the firing (breech/barrel) end of the qev valve...
Slide a 1/2 inch brass tee nut over the the 12mm carbon fibre tube
and tighten it to the 1/2 inch male joining nipple. (Just the same as if you were joining
1/2 inch copper pipe)..... Put a small magnet at the breech
end of the inner barrel first, to stop the 6mm bearing/plastic bb from dropping in qev
valve, and also running back-down the barrel (if using steel shot).. I just use it as
a muzzleloader until i make a magazine to suit.

jonesy42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Goats spudz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 am

I used Carbon fiber as a barrel once, it worked for a while then split, the splinters arent health aswell.

Where's my Chuck key?

Goats spudz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion