Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Nerf Football Fitment

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Nerf Football Fitment

Unread postAuthor: Zorlord » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with my nerf footballs fitting in a 2" barrel. They fit and slide down the barrel fairly well, but when shot at 40-60 psi, at a 45 degree angle, they go maybe 50 feet. This is all out of a sprinkler valve launcher with a 3 foot barrel and a 3" 1 and 1/2 foot chamber. Is this normal? I've shot apples out of it at 80 psi and it went close to 3 or 400 feet.. I just feel like i should be getting a significantly larger amount of distance out of these rockets than i am..

Thanks for all the help.
  • 0


Zorlord
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Sounds about right to me. You need to add more air pressure or add a better valve
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: 8tonsemi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:43 pm

If you want power go dust collector valve.

Quote From earlier post.


Go dust collector
  • 0

User avatar
8tonsemi
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: The moon
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:46 pm

If they are just sliding down the barrel then they may not fit properly. Try wrapping one with some tape to get a tighter fit. It may also just be that they aren't nearly as dense as an apple so they have much more resistance and slow down quicker.
  • 0

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Petitlu wrote:My balls are made of lead and weigh 22g but I can make heavier or lighter ...
User avatar
Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:35 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zorlord » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Mr.Tallahassee wrote:If they are just sliding down the barrel then they may not fit properly. Try wrapping one with some tape to get a tighter fit. It may also just be that they aren't nearly as dense as an apple so they have much more resistance and slow down quicker.


That's what ive tried.. They dont "fall" down the barrel but rather descend gradually.. So it is not a tight fit where i need a ramrod, but not loose enough to it just freefalls down
  • 0


Zorlord
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Zorlord wrote:That's what ive tried.. They dont "fall" down the barrel but rather descend gradually.. So it is not a tight fit where i need a ramrod, but not loose enough to it just freefalls down
So it's not the fit. The ball is probably too light to go any real distance. Try using higher pressure. That's about all I could suggest.
  • 0

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Petitlu wrote:My balls are made of lead and weigh 22g but I can make heavier or lighter ...
User avatar
Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:35 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zorlord » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Mr.Tallahassee wrote:
Zorlord wrote:That's what ive tried.. They dont "fall" down the barrel but rather descend gradually.. So it is not a tight fit where i need a ramrod, but not loose enough to it just freefalls down
So it's not the fit. The ball is probably too light to go any real distance. Try using higher pressure. That's about all I could suggest.


Okay, thanks for your help. I'm trying to avoid resorting to dumping high pressure into it simply because eventually these are going to be used for scenario airsoft.. I think ill experiment with faster valves and see if helps.. Ive been experimenting with making burst disk cartridges, which may yield better results.
  • 0


Zorlord
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 am

id say its loose put some paper behind it.
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: 8tonsemi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:04 am

For a better fit with the football you could aslo try wrapping some tape around the ball in one spot to it fits snugly. I know its primitive but it works.
  • 0

User avatar
8tonsemi
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: The moon
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:43 pm

8tonsemi wrote:For a better fit with the football you could aslo try wrapping some tape around the ball in one spot to it fits snugly. I know its primitive but it works.
Mr.Tallahassee wrote:If they are just sliding down the barrel then they may not fit properly. Try wrapping one with some tape to get a tighter fit. It may also just be that they aren't nearly as dense as an apple so they have much more resistance and slow down quicker.
I believe far_cry has a .gif image in his signature about this very incident. :lol:
  • 0

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Petitlu wrote:My balls are made of lead and weigh 22g but I can make heavier or lighter ...
User avatar
Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:35 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: lndncr2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Been lurking on the forum for awhile. Also building an m72 style nerf launcher. Would sch80 2" pvc pipe with id of 1.913" be too tight of a fit? Only have 3 nerf vortexs to sample, they range in size 1.930" to 1.970"
  • 0


lndncr2
Private
Private
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zorlord » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm

lndncr2 wrote:Been lurking on the forum for awhile. Also building an m72 style nerf launcher. Would sch80 2" pvc pipe with id of 1.913" be too tight of a fit? Only have 3 nerf vortexs to sample, they range in size 1.930" to 1.970"


you should be fine. sch 40 2" pipe has an id of 1.9 i believe, and the balls fit fairly well. the fins just cause resistance.

I think what i might do is put either wadding behind them, wrap them in lots of tape, or make a sabot for the rockets. What i think is happening is that there isnt enough friction between the ball and the tube, so the ball flies out before all the air is expelled.. Been working on other projects at the moment, but ill test everything out and let you guys know the results.
  • 0


Zorlord
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 pm

What works good for Nerf rockets in a SCH 40 barrel is to use closed cell foam 2.5 inch stress balls. These will act as a seal and protect the fins at higher launch pressures.

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Smile-Face-R ... ress+balls

Image

edit; add link
  • 0

Last edited by dewey-1 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dewey-1
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am
Location: NE Wisconsin USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zorlord » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

dewey-1 wrote:What works good for Nerf rockets in a SCH 40 barrel is to use closed cell foam 2.5 inch stress balls. These will act as a seal and protect the fins at higher launch pressures.

Image


Can you replace those rollie wheels what a battlemech? because that launcher is totally bad ass.
  • 0


Zorlord
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Dewey I love that cannon. However I dread the day that I need such a design. Goos stuff my friend, good stuff!!
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'